Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pls help me fix Fender M-80 SS guitar amp

Started by aaron, June 07, 2017, 02:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGonz78

Quote from: aaron on June 20, 2017, 03:14:53 PMWhat I ended up doing was cannibalizing a small heat sink from another circuit board, applied thermal paste, attached it to the resistor, and voila!

I'd like to see a picture of that.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

phatt

Good on you  aaron. :tu:

Regarding Reverbs; you may have to live with the hiss as it's a common complaint. :grr
Reason; To save a buck they don't use a very strong drive circuit and just turn up the gain on the return PU circuit to compensate for the weak reverb drive circuit.
Result; is a lot of excess hiss and buzz is introduced.
Short of a complete redesign you won't get rid of the hiss completely. :(

How do I know this?  Cause I've experimented and built a lot of reverb circuits. 8|
Phil.

aaron

Quote from: DrGonz78 on June 20, 2017, 03:51:47 PM
Quote from: aaron on June 20, 2017, 03:14:53 PMWhat I ended up doing was cannibalizing a small heat sink from another circuit board, applied thermal paste, attached it to the resistor, and voila!

I'd like to see a picture of that.
:cheesy:
It's already closed up.

Just imagine an Oreo cookie.
The bottom cookie is the ceramic resistor,
the filling is the thermal paste,
and the top cookie is the aluminum heat sink (it actually only had about 1mm of play on either side of the resistor)
:lmao:
YUM!

aaron

Quote from: phatt on June 21, 2017, 07:49:51 AM
Good on you  aaron. :tu:

Regarding Reverbs; you may have to live with the hiss as it's a common complaint. :grr
Reason; To save a buck they don't use a very strong drive circuit and just turn up the gain on the return PU circuit to compensate for the weak reverb drive circuit.
Result; is a lot of excess hiss and buzz is introduced.
Short of a complete redesign you won't get rid of the hiss completely. :(

How do I know this?  Cause I've experimented and built a lot of reverb circuits. 8|
Phil.

Well, that sucks!.....I'm a perfectionist!

That, ironically, brings us back to full circle where someone suggested I buy a reverb pedal !