Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:30:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Yamaha THR5 10-Watt Stereo Desktop Modeling Amp

Started by bagwellbill, December 12, 2014, 01:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagwellbill

I have a Yamaha THR5 10-Watt Stereo Desktop Modeling Amp and the toggle on/off switch is broken and i wanted to know what kind of switch i need because i did some searches on mini toggle switches and there are DPDT and SPDT 5 amp 120v and all kinds of different ratings for the amps and voltages for these. So does anyone know what rating and letter combo i guess lol i would be looking for?

bagwellbill

J M Fahey

1) in what Country do you live?   ::)

2) SPDT, DPDT, etc. refer to different switching possibilities, which will be reflected in number of pins.

Your switch may have from 2 to 6 pins/legs ; post a closeup picture .

3) we don't know whether it switches 120/240VAC (Country?  ::) )  or just the 15V DC supplied by the adapter.

Does the amp have a straight 120/240V AC cable which plugs into a wall outlet plus a 15V DC adapter or just the latter one?

bagwellbill

I live in the U.S. I only need an on/off switch the adapter for the amplifier is similar to a laptop charger 120v ac plug into the wall then an adapter box that converts to 15v DC then the amplifier. The amplifier is 10w, it functions on 15v DC. Thanks for the response :tu:

bagwellbill

i would post pics but the amp is a christmas gift for me that i talked my ol lady into buying for me.. hehe :P and im not allowed to touch it. If I could touch it I would already have the switch out and have read the switch for all this info lol ;D I just want to get the switch in advance so i can have it working on christmas

g1

It looks to be a fairly hefty toggle switch, like Fender style.
I think a Fender DPST part #  0036570000 should be a safe bet, if you don't need the extra pins you can just leave them unused.

Edit: That being said, you don't want to drill out a new amp if the diameter doesn't match, so best to measure and check.  That Fender switch fits 1/2" hole.

bagwellbill

its not a large switch at all, its  a mini toggle switch and i'd rather not go with brand names because imo it seems rather pointless to pay for a genuine Fender switch when its a toggle switch.... I just need a rough estimate on what kind of witch i need

J M Fahey

3rd time you ask for an answer whith implied adivination, because you don't want to do your homework.

OK, wait until Christmas then and maybe you are allowed to open it.

By the way, I can't understand how an unboxed "secret" gift can have a broken switch.

g1

Well, the picture to me looked like a regular sized toggle, but now that you mention it, I see it is smaller diameter than the jack.
  The Fender switch I mentioned is not expensive at $7.95, I mentioned it because they are easily available, but no matter as it is the wrong one.
  To get the proper switch, as has been mentioned, you need to measure the diameter of the bushing, and count the number of terminals on the switch.
  Without that information, no one can help you, aside from Yamaha or a Yamaha dealer.

bagwellbill

sorry about that G1 I figured it'd cost a fortune being fender and JM Fahey what homework are you talking about  and it was at a cashland and the switch was broken.. thats how it can have a broken switch.. dick

J M Fahey

OK.
Pity you won't be able to play your guitar on Christmas  :o

And considering typical holiday delays , you won't get your new switch until next year.

Of course, if that's fine with you , who am I to say otherwise?  ::)

The option is to buy your switch from Yamaha, which different to any other, don't need to open the amp and look at it.

Although it will probably cost more than $7.95 and certainly arrive next year, even if you order it now.

Won't comment on your expressed sexual preferences, that's a personal decision.

bagwellbill

anywho i have a 2way 3 pole switch now. How would i wire it for on/off. can someone show me how to wire it? preferably a diagram?

mauser

you are in over your head boss.   Get a friend over to help you, you got no business putting the switch in if you don't know how it even works.

bagwellbill

I've installed switches before, just not 3 pole. Only 2 pole. And well not amps. I do guitar stuffs not amp

bagwellbill

know what, everyone on this site is just a bunch of ignorant fucks. f!!* this site and you people. Can't get a fucking straight answer outta no one. I just didnt know how many amps the fucking switch had to be and needed to know how to wire the damn thing because i can't fucking look at mine to see how it is. Ass holes