Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 10:11:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Ibanez TBX150H got real quiet

Started by blickfang, December 30, 2013, 04:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blickfang

Hi all

I have Ibanez TBX150H and use it sparingly these days.  For those not familiar, it is a discontinued solid state head.  I thought I would play through it the other day and I mixed up my send and receive cables on the effects loop.  I usually power it off before I do that but I was in a hurry!  after doing that I lost all power it had.  I can hear guitar but only faintly.  I am waiting for Ibanez to offer me a viable solution. I think something happened to the power section.  Is there an easy way to tell?  If I did blow it up and it needs to be replaced, could I use a more powerful one?  It was a great sounding amp for a SS, but could not keep up in the volume department.

Thanks!

J M Fahey

Start by plugging a known good cable from send to return jacks.
Report results.

blickfang

Hi  J M Fahey

Just so I am clear:

plug one end of a good cable into the send jack and the other end into the receive jack.  Have my guitar in the guitar jack......correct?   :)

gaioshin

Yup! It's generally to eliminate the possibility that the effects loop sockets themselves may have oxidised/shorted.

blickfang

I got home and plugged in a cable as directed and it came back to life :dbtu:
Thanks!  Now how do I keep it that way?

g1

Sometimes just giving those jacks some exercise will fix the problem.  Plug your cable in and out of those jacks a dozen times or so, see if that helps.
Usually you also need to spray some contact cleaner in them (something like deoxit or nu-trol) as well as exercising them to work the cleaner in.
  The other option is to just leave a short patch cable in there.

blickfang

Thank you guys for the quick responses.  I will try the Deoxit plan this evening  :cheesy:

phatt

There is great wisdom in leaving a short cord plugged in,,, I'd take G1's advice before wasting money on cleaning stuff. These sockets are cheap and nasty and will fail again in the future. xP
Phil.

blickfang

The deoxit plan was a success!  Thank you very much for your help and expertise  :dbtu:

blickfang

Hey Guys

Quick update.  Yes the amp works with nothing in the effects loop.  When I try to add effects it goes back to sounding like crap.  I will probably have to replace the jacks.  but not now.  Thank you again for your input

blickfang

Hi There

turns out the amp is still under warranty.  I am going to send it out.  Thanks again for the input  :dbtu: