Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 08:52:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Albion AG80R SS amp

Started by PoorOtis, January 06, 2014, 10:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorOtis

Found a amp that I'm interested in..but can't find any reviews from real owners of this brand of amp! its made in the UK,designed by Steve Grindrod..ex Marshall/Vox amp guru..so I figure it should be a good one..but I need some hands on opinions from owners,or players that have used this amp..its either PLAY or PASS!
Albion AG80R Solid State Guitar Amp.
Thanks

Roly

This tells us a bit...
Quote from: http://www.albionamps.com/Uploads/File/AN_Brochure.PDF
AG80R
80watt 1x12" hybrid guitar combo. High voltage FET/valve preamp,
constant current solid-state power amp. 12" Albion made loudspeaker.
Twin footswitch-able totally independent channels, clean/crunch and high
gain. Spring type Digital reverb. Speaker emulating headphone/line out
with speaker muting Standby switch

For potential tone, technically this looks like an interesting amp.

A FET has a similar-but-different characteristic curve to a valve, and the up-shot of it is that this produces some top-bottom distortion, similar to a valve, that comes out as second-harmonic - which guitarists seem to like.

The output stage is arranged so it drives the speaker in a more valve-amp-like way.

But the bottom line is always the bottom line, what's the deal being offered, is it a good deal from your point of view?  As long as it makes noises, any fault is grounds to beat the price right down, but just about everything is fixable, (even the worst dogofanamp).
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey

Well, the first 6 minutes tell you all you want to know:
http://youtu.be/0cyCeJA6v-I

Seriously, there's *no way* that amp is made in UK, unless chassis, speaker and finished cabinet arrive in separate containers and "manufacturing" means bolting them together.

And the sound is 100% buzzy thin Solid State, no hint of tubes there, except as a gimmick.

Tons of older classic SS amps, such as Dean Markleys, or Peavey Bandits, to name a couple, have warmer smoother sound.

The demo only shows the digital effects, which are probably an already stuffed stamp sized PCB, which is OEM made by the thousands by somebody else.