Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

princeton amp - which to keep?

Started by dlove, October 02, 2011, 11:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlove

Hi all,

I wanted to start off by first saying this is not an ad to sell an amp, I just need some information as far as which one of my older amps to sell

I've been a guitar player for several years now and have a collection of several amps. I'm looking at getting a nice half-stack in the near future, so I wanted to unload at least one of the amps I currently have sitting around that I don't much use anymore

The two amps I'm deciding between are both Fender Princetons, one being the 112 Plus model and the other being the '65 model, purchased as starter amps when I first started playing. Both work well and are in good physical condition, considering they were purchased in the mid '90s

The thing is, in having looked over the specs, I don't really see much difference between these two amps. I like having various pieces of equipment around (including guitars, amplifiers and effects) to give me as wide and varied of a range of sound as possible, but honestly these amps both look and sound relatively identical to me (though admittedly it's been a while since I've played on either one of them). I was told by one source that the 112 was the earlier model, and was eventually replaced by the '65, but I don't know how credible this information is. I've noticed some slight differences between the two, which I've listed below

If anyone could provide advice on which amp you would recommend keeping (or if there is a valid reason I should keep both), please let me know

Princeton 112:
1 input
tuners (normal channel): volume, treble, bass
tuners (drive channel): gain, contour, treble, bass, drive select switch, volume
reverb option
i/o: foot switch, preamp out, power amp in, head phones

Princeton 65 -
2 inputs (112 only has 1)
tuners (normal channel): volume, treble, bass
tuners (drive channel): drive, volume, channel select switch, treble, mid, bass
reverb option
i/o: foot switch, pre out, pwr in

I appreciate your time

- David 

J M Fahey

Dust them, plug in, play a`few chords, follow your heart.
If still undecided, flip a coin.