Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:45:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Yamaha DG80-112

Started by polio, October 21, 2010, 06:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polio

Hi there, I have just bought this amp and there is a problem with it that I hope someone can help me with.
First of all the amp indicates E1 on the display after a short while when I change to a new sound but disapears when the recallbutton is pushed once again. This happens all the time but that problem  is something that I can live with and other users of this amp seems to experince the same and they ignore it to.

The other more serious problem is that all of a sudden all the controll knobs search their maximum positions and does not move even if change to another sound pattern. If I try to move the controll knobs they just move back to maximum again, the controll knobs are motorized. But here comes the very odd part, if I tapp a little more than gently on the back of the amp at the position where the "computer" card is inside of the amp is it can function as it should again.

Any ideas someone?

J M Fahey

Open it under a good light, push-in connectors which may have come loose, whack it gently in different places with a chopstick or plastic pen, keep an eye on the display.
Clearly it's a "mechanical" problem.
Good luck.

polio

Ok, I´ll try that, is there also any idea to use "computor"spray on the connectors?

J M Fahey

Deoxit cleans dirty old worn connectors, but yours is too new for corrosion.
Wire bundles *may* have been pulled by mishandling during transport.

polio

I have done just as recommended and after the problem was located  I also used some spray after I lifted the connectors from the card. I did the same with all of the connectors despite your advice and now it works flawless and  even the E1 does not appear on the display anymore either.

Thank you very much for your advice/ a guitarplayer from Sweden

scooperman

The DG80 power supply circuit board is not well supported.  If the amplifier is dropped, the weight of the transformer and other heavy components will crack the circuit board.  Next time you have the amp apart, add some insulated standoffs/braces to the power board.

polio

Ok, that´s a good advice, you seem to have some experience from these amps is there anything more that´s  good to know about it? How about the motorized knobs for example, is it possible to lubricate them in anyway? I think they might be a weak spot in the long run. I really want to look after it since it sounds really good once you get the hold of the sound opportunities.

Polio

scooperman

I have not seen problems with the motorized pots.  I think that maybe this is because the pots are not usually being yanked around by human hands, instead they are usually moved smoothly by the motors.

stchristopher

From memory I read you can also get the E1 error message when you turn the pots fully clockwise (10) or counter clockwise (0).