Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:56:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

a/b/y splitter vs. daisy chain via 2nd inputs?

Started by MikeDesert, April 19, 2010, 06:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDesert

Right now I have two early 70s Acoustic Amp heads daisy chained via instrument cables. (guitar in on first input, inst cable from 2nd input into 1st input of another head). Each head goes to it's own cabinet.

I've heard that this is totally fine, and also heard this could mess my heads up.

I've heard I need a splitter box, and also heard I don't need one-but it will make it "sound better".

Heard Morely's are garbage, heard they are good.  Heard that the Radial Engineering BigShot ABY Passive Switcher is good, but it's PASSIVE (and I don't really know what that means!)

Any advice would be great!  Our bass player is doing the same set up right now with his SVT and Sunn head.  Everything sounds great, but I want to make sure our gear isn't in danger -and if we're not sounding as good without a switcher box.

Thanks!!

J M Fahey

Your equipment is not in danger, but a splitter
Quoteit will make it "sound better".

MikeDesert

Quote from: J M Fahey on April 20, 2010, 12:41:03 PM
Your equipment is not in danger, but a splitter
Quoteit will make it "sound better".

cool, thanks for the reply! So, either of those 2 I mentioned would be OK? I heard the Lehle's are good but they're pretty pricey...

Vitrolin

QuoteI've heard that this is totally fine, and also heard this could mess my heads up.

I've heard I need a splitter box, and also heard I don't need one-but it will make it "sound better".
there's no harm but it could be a impedance problem, this could make your instrument sound darker, less bright.
if the instrument output impedace is larger than the amp in then theres a high frequency loss, roughly said.
QuoteHeard Morely's are garbage, heard they are good.  Heard that the Radial Engineering BigShot ABY Passive Switcher is good, but it's PASSIVE (and I don't really know what that means!)
the splitter box has buffers that will lower your instruments output impedance, this would be an active splitter box
the passive a/b/Y splitter box, when in y-mode is actualy the same as a y cable...