Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

stewart tube amp

Started by shovelheadsixsix, October 19, 2009, 03:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelheadsixsix

anyone have any info on where this came from mail order,deptment store,combo with guitar,anything. I cant find any info . tubes 2@el84 2@12ax7 1@ez80
What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. Bob Dylan

J M Fahey

Looks very "Silvertoneish" , probably made by them or some competitor. Should be very easy to trace; just do it and post the schematic, plus some "guts" pictures. I love bargain bin specials.

shovelheadsixsix

inside pics. hand drawn schematic,point to point wiring.I found this amp on garbage day at the curb took her home pluged her in and it worked fine.
What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. Bob Dylan

J M Fahey

Well, it's not a Silvertone, it's not made of pressed cardboard, he he. Better for you.
Please re-take the schematic picture outside on a sunny day, to make it more readable.
Steady your hands with a chair or something and press the button slowly.
Beautiful amp, excellent bargain.

shovelheadsixsix

better pic.I can not find who ,what ,when or where at all on this thing

J M Fahey

Hi Stewart, thanks.
Well, readable enough.
Interesting little amp, and rises a few questions.
By the construction technique , it's very '60s, the golden age of department store tube amplifiers, in fact that panel and graphics are very "modern", *but* the style of drawing tubes, and the fact of using them "starved" (huge plate resistors, little or no bias resulting in low plate voltages), the general "economy of components", comes straight from the '40s, or even earlier, when components were scarce and expensive and you had to pull up to the last dB of gain from a tube.
I guess it was designed and built by some "old hand" , I mean somebody who was already old way back then, and with a lot of experience.
I think you have a jewel in your hands, it must sound good.
The speaker looks quite good too; if you could just provide some picture .... [:)]
Just for fun, play some White Stripes material through it, or some smokey Chicago Blues.

shovelheadsixsix

I have a date code book it say the speaker is from Quam-Nichols 1943 1953 or 1963 and the 41st week of year.#270341. cant seem to get pic to upload

J M Fahey

Very probably 63. Any earlier amp would have used 6V6's for the same power output.

shovelheadsixsix

thanks. this thing is still a mystery on where it came from

shovelheadsixsix

Is the speaker a good mfg.

J M Fahey

It's an old OEM manufacturer, and surprisingly still in business, considering the outsourcing-sickness that affects and is killing the US.