Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Best / Favorite DI

Started by bigc, January 08, 2009, 01:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigc

Looking for recommendations on a DI.  I'm going for a jazz tone, but I use a fair bit of reverb and delay.

Some DI's I'm considering:
Radial JDI
SansAmp ParaDriver
CountryMan type 185

My signal path is:
Ibanez AS200 ----> Ernie Ball VP jr vol pdl ---->(DI here?)---->Digitch RP150--(stereo out)-->2 yamaha G100-112 amps

I'm thinking of using the DI as sort of a "center" tone, and mic'ing each amp and panning those fairly hard left and right.  I'm shooting for a tone similar to Metheny, but with more ambience.  A good reference would probably be Ben Monder or Kurt Rosenwinkel.

If anybody has any experience with any of these DI's please let me know what your thoughts are, or if perhaps I need to consider putting it in a different place in my signal chain.

Thanks guys.

GLUGSTER

A DI where you are suggesting will give you a really "raw dog" guitar tone, without any preamp voicing whatsoever. As a Methany tone  this might be what you are going for, but I kind of doubt it. I have a feeling that the highs will be very shrill  and you won't like the massive dynamic volume fluctuation that will occur. I own a Behringer GI100 DI box that has an on board speaker sim that really smooths out the top end, controls dynamic spikes and is very clean. It also can be phantom powered which is a really cool feature for a direct box.

bigc

Yeah, I was wondering about that and thinking about maybe putting a compressor before the volume pedal.

I haven't checked out the Behringer DI, but I'll definitely look into it.

syndromet

I don't really see why you would want a DI in that setup at all? You are not running directly to the PA, and I suppose you are not going to run long lenghts of cable. The Digitech don't have a balance input, wich means your signal won't be balanced anyway. That means that you'll only change the impedance of your signal, wich means that the digitech won't see the signal it was designed for. I bet a DI in your chain will do more bad than good, and I bet something like this will bring you closer to what you're looking for.

GLUGSTER

Quote from: syndromet on January 09, 2009, 08:42:52 AM
I don't really see why you would want a DI in that setup at all? You are not running directly to the PA, and I suppose you are not going to run long lenghts of cable. The Digitech don't have a balance input, wich means your signal won't be balanced anyway. That means that you'll only change the impedance of your signal, wich means that the digitech won't see the signal it was designed for. I bet a DI in your chain will do more bad than good, and I bet something like this will bring you closer to what you're looking for.

Good call! I love my BBE SS!