Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:48:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Transformer on Line6 Spider111 75 watt

Started by ricktar50, July 04, 2013, 05:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricktar50

I did a benefit and brought along my distro box...The club owner was supposed to know what he was doing and wired up a pigtail so we could plug it into his 220 socket...He wired one side wrong and fried all our wall warts and my amp...All the amp does is hum...Did it fry the transformer or might I have bigger problems?

Roly

Problems don't come much bigger than a fried transformer, and while the internal fuses of your wall warts may have blown, in the case of your amp it's rather more likely that excessive voltages within the amp have done some damage.  If your power transformer was damaged it's unlikely that you would get any hum from the speakers - direct from the tranny with a side order of smoke maybe, but hum from the speakers suggests that the tranny is okay and the rectifier and/or power stages are damaged.

But you will find out when the tech you employ at the club owners expense tells you what was wrong and how much the club owner is up for, wall warts and all.   :trouble
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

ricktar50

Kaz Kylheku

If the amp hums, the transformer is still alive; it just forgot the words to the song.

On a non-electronics topic completely; it sounds like the club owner did something stupid (and possibly illegal, in contravention of electrical code).

He should compensate you for repairs and replacements.

I bet his insurance company (assuming he even has one) would not be too thrilled to hear about this, not to mention whatever authority that gives out club licenses (city hall, ...).

ADA MP-1 Mailing ListMusic DIY Mailing List
http://www.kylheku.com/mp1http://www.kylheku.com/diy