Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Marshall G100R-CD blown

Started by phatt, August 28, 2018, 04:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g1

Jazz, that is a later version that is the same as the MG100R-CD, using 2SA and 2SC output devices.
The one Phil has is an earlier one that uses the BDV64 & 65 outputs like some of the valvestates do.
The only schematic I could find that seems to be close (almost exact) for the power amp & supply is the G8080 schem. I posted above.

Jazz P Bass

Ok.

I was looking more at component designators.

g1

I was kind of hoping you might have another version for the G100 but I guess not?  :)

phatt

Well having the PCB in front of me I can say that *G1's* schematic is almost identical. I'm sure if I dug around every part there might be some different values but looks like it's the same amp with a different title. :tu:
The MG100RCD schematic has a few missing parts,  The 4x 10nF caps around bridge are not shown on the MG100RCD but are present on the G8080 drawing.

Add to that the G8080 is much easier to read,, but I do wish folks would show node joins. :grr  When you have a lot of crossing lines it's easy to make mistakes. :trouble
Phil.

g1

So just the R98 value difference?

phatt

Quote from: g1 on September 05, 2018, 01:28:54 PM
So just the R98 value difference?

So far Yes.
I've had the preamp working via the send output and everything seems in order, channel switching and all controls work fine. :tu:

I've simulated the hot channel and those LED's had me a bit confused.
LED's 5&6 & C150 go to 0VP which I assume to mean comm preamp while the rest of that section goes to 0VA. xP

The Main Comm trace goes along the back to feed the poweramp and switching circuit while the preamp Comm passes along the front right behind all the pots via jumpers.
For simulation it is not an issue but I thought I should check the PCB in case I missed something but it seems the whole hot channel runs to 0VP. (Star ground at main supply)

Those notes on the schematic line up with this PCB.
RCD1 (470k) has been deleted and the series R117 (100k) added.

The extra filtering for IC1 is also present, (R28&29  C7&C8)

Same for Reverb, parts are as per the schematic and notes.
I did note a small clip on the tube where a player noted the reverb was a bit weak.
So they have obviously had trouble with that.

When the amp is back together I'll be able to check how well the reverb performs.
Those parallel opamp circuits struggle to drive tanks with sub ~100 OHM winding's.
I've had quite a few conversations with Rod Elliot (ESP) and he noted that you need NE5532 or similar as they can drive very low loads, the 4558 and like can't cope.
I recently fixed a similar reverb setup as it was just pathetic really bad distortion as it just square waves at about 2 Volts.
I'll sim the rev drive and see, I'm betting it falls over also. :-X
Phil.