Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Resistors

Started by SpareRibs, February 15, 2014, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpareRibs

Hello,
     How can I tell the difference between a 56K resistor as opposed to a 560K resistor by color code? It seems that both are the same.

Roly

xxK = x,x,orange

xx0K = x,x,yellow

Or ohmmeter.

Sometimes resistor colour codes can be hard to tell apart, e.g. red from orange, orange from yellow, but this can have more to do with your choice of bench lighting than the actual colours.  Women often take garments outside the shop to check the colour in daylight away from the shop lighting for exactly this reason.

If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey

Men too.
At least some:

Enzo

Which end do you start from to read the color code on THAT?

Look at the color code itself, it tells you that 5 is green, 6 is blue, 3 is orange, 4 is yellow.  so 56 is green,blue, then the mutliplier for k is 3 and for 10k is 4, so orange or yellow depending on which you want.   I never think of it as multiplier, I always just think of the third code as the number of zeros.  so then 5, and 6, and 4 zeroes.  560k.  (k being three zeroes itself.  or multiplier of 1000)

And worked the other way, if you have green-blue-orange, look up those colors to find 5-6-3, or 56000, or 56k.

joecool85

If you want to make it real easy, just use an online calculator: http://www.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/calculators/4-band-resistors.html

That said, you'll memorize them once you've done enough electronics.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com