Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 06:11:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

hello there

Started by pobolycwm, June 02, 2009, 07:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pobolycwm

i joined this forum today after stumbling across it whilst looking for plans to build myself a bass amp. i spend most of my workday assembling lighting controllers for fairground rides but due to the complexity of some of these boxes every few hours i like to take a break and solder something else. no doubt you will have a few questions from me in the weeks to come and i look forward to posting my project and its outcome on here when i decide on what i am making

joecool85

Welcome and good luck on your bass amp project.  Any ideas on what chip you'll be using?  Or maybe you're building a discrete amp?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

pobolycwm

thanks for the welcome. i do not have a clue what i am going to be building, thats why i joined to read and research, but i will be looking for something around the 50 - 100w mark. If you have a suggestion for a good amp build i am all ears.

joecool85

Quote from: pobolycwm on June 03, 2009, 02:15:10 AM
thanks for the welcome. i do not have a clue what i am going to be building, thats why i joined to read and research, but i will be looking for something around the 50 - 100w mark. If you have a suggestion for a good amp build i am all ears.

I would suggest a chipamp, most likely an LM3886.  It will provide 50w RMS at 8 ohms, 68w RMS at 4 ohms, double those figures for peak wattages.  You can even buy a kit for it from Brian at chipamp.com 

You will need to build a preamp for it though, as with any amp.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com