Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

what overdrive should I try ?

Started by PI, November 27, 2009, 03:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PI

Hello !
I currently use a peavey classic 30 combo amp and using the distortion chanel which i find very nice.
I also use a lot of effects out of my pedal board, but i still find that there is missing something to my distortion sound. I was think of adding an overdrive pedal on the dist. channel to heat things up a little, but i`m not sure which one would suit me good.
I`m looking for this kind of heavier sound but still keep it smooth... kind of a "Tool" or "mars volta" sound.

Thanks
Pi

J M Fahey

If you use the tube distortion your amp supplies (you should), the idea is to boost it without adding too much "extra" distortion, just more gain. For that, almost any good, classic distortion will do, if run high or full on "Volume/Level" and as needed on "Distortion/Gain".
An MXR Dist+, a Tube Screamer, Rat, DS1, SD1, etc, all the "op amp with diodes" family will work well.
What you don't want there is something very fuzzy as a Fuzz Face or Big Muff or very extreme as a Metal Zone or any pedal with the words Metal/Pain/Blood/Napalm/etc. on its front panel. In short, increase your gain but don't destroy the "natural" tone you already have.
If you build a simple "op amp in a box", no frills, just a gain pot., you will be happy. Good luck.

PI

PI

Do you think I should plug it before or after the other FX and compressor ? 

J M Fahey

To make good use of your amp's tube sound, I'd go bit by bit.
First plug your guitar straight into your amp (do what the great players do) and play a couple hours, trying to get the best sound.
Then, add your "clean boost", which of course will overdrive your amp even more.
Start with 0 extra gain. You'll already sound better, because you are buffering your guitar and losing less in the cable.
Play no less than half an hour, exploring what you get.
Rise the gain , one notch at a time and repeat the test.
When bored or tired, leave it for another day; it's pleasure, not work.
Eventually you'll have a killer sound.
Only then, you can add other pedals, one by one, testing them leisurely.
If any of them *lowers* the sound quality, avoid it.
It's like good cooking: start with excellent raw stuff, and don't kill it by over seasoning.
"Tone" is difficult to get and easy to lose, but I guess you are starting to know that.
Good luck.