Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:45:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Lab Series L5 settings please?

Started by Cowie86, August 31, 2019, 05:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowie86

Hello everyone

I bought an L5 a few months ago after wanting one for ages. My dream amp is a Fender Twin Reverb and I had read in various places that the L5 could get me very close.

Since I've had the amp I've had trouble getting the sound I want. I'm just leaving the multifilter on 1 as I think that's the off position. I think what I can't get to sound "fender-y" is the midrange and the mid boost/cut knob.

If anyone has got any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

phatt

Welcome to SS guitar. :tu:
I don't know the amp but too many variables to give meaningful answers.
Type of pickup SC or HB, Speakers used, pedals you might use. Many things need to be in place to make it happen.
You can try an eq pedal in front,, maybe even a Treble booster.

Be aware that one persons idea of *sounding like a Fender twin* might be very different to your idea. :-X

Schematic shows this amp has 2 inputs, top one has a passive type tone circuit which might prove to be more useful that the second input which runs an active tone with sweep EQ as well as that multi filter. (which I don't fully understand??)

The original Fender twins normally had a lot of bass at V1 & V2 while the input to power stages had a big bass roll off.
Change that cap from 1nF up to a 22nF and it will no longer sound like A Fender Twin.
It will just fart :lmao:
I use pedals to get my sound/tone/breakup and can run that into 3 quite different amps and still get a similar tonal outcome.
As much as I hate pedal boards I've realized that it's easier than trying to mod amps. (Sand or Glass)

On my Pedal board,
I use a tone circuit, a Treble booster and a compressor along with a simple OD setup.
This covers most of the classic rock/pop styles I play. If you are into heavy metal grunge then this would not work.
The tone circuit and Tboost are my own designs.
If you are into building pedals I can post them here?

You have to experiment a lot before you find what works.
And for bedroom players don't assume the fantastic sound you hear at low SPL will equate to stage stardom,, At high volume it most likely will turn to crud.
Phil.

g1

Don't know if it helps, but I read this about the multi-filter:
"The multifilter is essentially a six-band EQ with fixed settings, where you control only how much of the signal through it gets mixed back with the main signal, sort of like a flanger's comb filter with the sweep set to zero. The frequency centers are at 1000Hz, 1370Hz, 1900Hz, 2630Hz, 3630Hz and 5000 Hz."
http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Lab/

There are lots of youtube videos with Lab L5 demo's, maybe have a look through some.

Cowie86

Hi both

Thanks very much for your helpful replies.  In case anyone else on the net has this query and comes across this thread, here's how I did it:

1. First I set the Frequency knob to around 500khz as this is what is being scooped in the typical Fender "mid scooped" sound.

2. Next I experimented with the Midrange knob, turning it between -5 and 0 to work out how much of the 500khz frequency I wanted to cut.  When I was happy with that I moved to the next step.

3. I turned the mysterious "Multifilter" knob to fine tune the sound to exactly what I wanted.  I can't describe exactly what this knob is changing but it's a definite variation in sound as you turn it.

I hope that and the answers above help anyone in future with a similar L5 query. :)