Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Test Signal Help

Started by K Man, January 22, 2010, 11:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K Man

Looking for some advice concerning injecting a test signal into a fender Princeton Chorus amp.  I have some modest experience troubleshooting electronics but this is my first go at a guitar amp.  The factory schematic calls for a 1 kHZ input signal in order to achieve the signal values listed at the various test points on the schematic.  However the schematic makes no mention of a voltage requirement for the 1 kHZ test signal.  The first test point in the signal flow is "TP9", a tie point right after input jack #1.  The signal value listed is 2 mVAC.  Should this be the value of my 1 kHZ test signal?  My next question is a bit of a newbie no-brainer but I want to be sure...to inject the signal do I just take an old guitar cord jack plug and attach a couple of leads to hook it up to the sig gen and amp?
Attached is a cut of the input for the amp.  Thanks in advance!

J M Fahey

Yes, you got it right.
Get a guitar cord, hook one end to the generator, set it to 1kHz, 2mV, and plug it into the upper (in the schematic) input jack.

Enzo

Look at your test point, it is the input jack.   Showing the 2mv signal at the input jack is the same thjing as specifying a 2mv input.

Be aware all those signal voltages are appoximate.  DOn;t waste time trying to "correct" a 34mv signal point that is supposed to be 38mv.

K Man

Thanks for the help especially about the not precise signal measurements.  I figured there would be some voltage differences given component value drift over the years but it's good the hear it from an outside observer.  Definite cure for potential troubleshooting headaches!