Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 - tech help needed

Started by JimDep, January 24, 2010, 01:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimDep

Post #1.

Greetings from Colorado and thanks for offering a place to discuss SS amps.

I picked up a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 amp a month ago, along with the footswitch. It's a 1990 and the version 1, I think.

Problem:
The chorus unit was not working when I bought it from a pawn shop, so I got a good price...$100. I planned to take apart for a thorough cleaning a week ago, and the chorus unit mysteriously came on and worked fine BEFORE taking it apart. I cleaned the amp anyway, put it back together and everything sounded fine, EXCEPT the chorus unit doesn't work again! I took it apart again, jiggled some wires and still nothing.

Any suggestions? I don't have a background in electronics, so please go easy on me.  :)

Thanks,

JD

phatt

You should have quit while you where ahead, LOL
Well at least you know it works.

OK with no electronics skill just go hunting for cold solder joins.
These are often hard to spot but with good light, a keen eye,, and some logical deduction you can pick them.

The pots are often mounted directly onto the PCB and can be a stress point leading to cracked solder points or even cracked tracks.

The switch that engages the chorus effect may not be making proper contact, try jiggling it on off a few times. Some of those push on buttons are cheap and nasty devices and I've found quite a few give trouble after ten years or so.
Wish you luck.
Phil.

JimDep

The chorus unit just came back on again. This time I will quit while I'm ahead  :tu:

At least for couple weeks or so, until I get motivated to hunt for cold solder joints as you suggested.

Now if I can get rid of the OOPS cleaner smell . I'm sorry I used that nasty stuff to clean the gunk that accumulated under the plastic screen on top of the head.  When the amp heats up, I  still get the chemical taste on the back of my tongue. I the amp outside yesterday to air it out, but that hasn't helped much. Maybe the cold air helped to jump start the chorus unit........no clue.

Thanks again for you help!

Enzo

Isolate the problem.  There are two speakers.  When the chorus quits, does one speaker go silent?  Only one of the two speakers makes the chorused so9und, the other remains dry.  SO if the chorused speaker goes silent, you lose the effect.

That could be an initermittent speaker, a failing cord from the amp down to the speaker, a loose connection to the speaker wiring at the amp.

Spray cleaner in each jack and probe a plug in and out a few times.  Cutout contacts on FX loop jacks and power amp in jacks can cut out your signal.