Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:12:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help! B-52-LG-100A volume issue

Started by metalgod3082, January 27, 2010, 09:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalgod3082

I'm using a B-52-LG-100A 100-Watt Solid-State Amplifier. Recently the master volume control doesnt seem to be adjusting the volume. It's like the volume is stuck on level 1. I can hear the guitar playing but its so low I have to be within a few feet of the speakers to hear it.  When I turn the master volume to 10 it doesnt get louder and when I turn it all the way to 0 it still stays the same. I've taken the whole thing apart and checked for any visible damage inside and everything looks perfect. I've tried different power outlets, power cables, guitar cables, etc., but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with this?

fretknowmore

the first thing you need to do it make sure the pot works, the dial/knob that controls the volume.
you will need a soldering iron and a multi-meter, take the amp apart to the board,
you can test the pot inside the circuit and it should read accurately
set the multi-meter for kOhms, and test from one of the outside pins to the other outside pins.
then test from one outside and the middle one and adjust the dial, pots (we call them now we are engineers) and check to see if the value changes from 0-the number you read across the outside legs.
if the numbers don't match or change when you turn it you have a bad pot. replace it,
YOUR AMP SHOULD BE UNPLUGGED FOR A DAY BEFORE YOU OPEN IT
even solid state, there is enough trouble in there to give you a good one.