Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Reverb tank into Squier 15 SS amp

Started by SpareRibs, January 20, 2017, 08:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpareRibs

Hello,
After many mods, I would like to put a reverb tank into a Squier 15. I have installed a 12" speaker, offset the clipping diodes, and reduced the size of one of the resistors in the front end of the amp.
So far it has worked out well. I would like to take it further and add a reverb tank as I think it would more depth and texture to the sound. I would appreciate any suggestions, and or input regarding this project.
I already know this is a cheap amp, not worthy of any serious time or effort however, the modifications so far have led to amazing results.
Thank you for any replies or suggestions you may have.

g1

Here is an explanation of what all the number codes mean on the tanks, and a few solid state circuit examples, like the Fender Blues Junior reverb circuit.

SpareRibs

Hello,
Thank you g1, I have bookmarked that exact article. I am not competent enough to know where to put it in the Squier 15.
I can salvage a tank out of a crate amp that I have. I am just at a loss as to how to control the intensity and volume.

Enzo

That is because you have no drive and return circuits.  There is a lot more to reverb than just a reverb pan.

Here is a schematic for the Peavey Blazer and Rage amps.  The only difference is the Blazer has the reverb.  See the dotted line around the enter part of the schematic?  That stuff is only in the Blazer.  Scroll down to the parts layouts, see the extra parts in the Blazer?  You would need those things.

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Peavey/Peavey_Blazer,_Rage_(4-95)_Schematic.pdf

phatt

For such a small Amplifier it's hardly worth it,, better you spend money on a decent Reveb pedal which can be used into other gear down the track.
Phil.

J M Fahey

MAYBE the Squier PCB already includes a Reverb circuit, just with no parts in it.
Many manufacturers (including Peavey mentioned above) design a single PCB for both models, for cost and practicity reasons, and either fill it up or not.
Check whether you have unused holes and tracks, enough for 1 TL072 and some 8 or 10 extra capacitors and resistors.
Tracks should lead to a couple 2 pin connectors.

IF so, you may add the needed parts plus a tank, probably the same as in the Crate.

If not, you should check how others do it and kludge a small board, maybe even on perfboard to avoid etching.

SpareRibs

Hello,
If I build this reverb circuit from the 15r,and, order the appropriate reverb tank. Where would I insert it into the Squier 15 circuit?
I know everyone thinks this is a waste of time but the reason I really like this amp is because of the controls. It has treble, middle, and bass. Most amps get ice picky or muddy. I also like the fact that with very few mods, it has become quiet playable, moderately loud, without sounding junky.

phatt

Sorry chum,,,Two very different circuits so NO you can't just drop in the reverb as shown in the 15R schematic.
Yes you can insert reverb but that will require a fair bit of tweaking to make it work. :-X

As can be seen by looking at both schematics the early squire 15 is a very different circuit to the later model.
Yes the early squire 15 is likely the better sounding circuit but does not have reverb.

BTW I've read that some of the squire's have a tiny transformer and you may struggle to get enough power to drive the extra circuitry,, that might be the later models?

My advice is leave it,, go build the same circuit but add the reverb.
Plenty of good ideas on how to accomplish that at ESP.
http://sound.whsites.net/project34.htm

Phil.

J M Fahey

Just curious, *WHICH* of two Squier15 amps do you have?

IF you have the "non R" version of the bottom one, your PCB willbe the same as the reverb version but with the components inside the dotted rectangle not fitted, what Enzo and I told you earlier.
IF so, you cn fit missing parts and it might match the Crate tank.

IF you have the earlier, simpler one, then it becomes more complex.

Bu we don´t know, post a couple pictures: front panel, back panel, and a couple PCB closeups so we can check whether there is an unused part of the PCB or not.

So far we are mostly guessing :)

Also post tank codes and for good measure, measure input and output coils DC resistances.

SpareRibs

Hello,
Here are the photos. As you can see it has spaces for reverb on PCB.

J M Fahey

Ok , I have good news and I have bad news.
Good news: you have an incomplete "reverb" amp, , potentially capable of being completed
Bad news : it does not match any known schematic.
Cearly Fnder switches suppliers as often as they chang underwear, this one seems to be a certain Thai Yih something and apparently each one uses his own schematic.
I already suspectd that when I saw an MN5201 switching Op Amp, normally used by Marshall.

personally; I´d write Fender stating amp model and serial number "for servicing".

If they send you theproper schematic AND it covers both versions like the one above, you are done.

Post it here too, so we see what you have.

SpareRibs

Hello,
That being the case and, the circuit will support a reverb. Where could I plug it into the the existing circuit ?
If I obtain the reverb tank from the Fender Frontman 15R and use that circuit how hard would it be ?

Enzo

The circuit is already there, it is just devoid of parts, so you'd inject the reverb ibnto exactly where the board has it now, along with the support circuits that are not yet there.  You posted a schematic earlier with a section for rerverb model only.  Does that drawing not match your board?

SpareRibs

Hello,
It only has the number of the resistors as per R102 -R102 ect. No values on any of them . I have just sent a letter off to Fender maybe they can enlighten me as to the value of the missing parts.
You are also correct about everything is there, in out ect. just the values missing.

g1

Quote from: J M Fahey on January 26, 2017, 04:14:52 PM
I already suspectd that when I saw an MN5201 switching Op Amp, normally used by Marshall.
JM, that's a 5218, not 5201, so standard dual op-amp.  :)

SpareRibs:  Is this a USA amp or some other country?
Can you post a picture showing the number on the output IC (mounted on heatsink) and also of the chassis front panel.