Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

question on PCB layouts

Started by stringsthings, January 19, 2017, 07:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

Hi,

I'm a new member and I have a question about the layouts on the site.
I see several PCB layouts that have the tracks and the parts.
How would I go about etching a board with one of these layouts?
Is there a way to separate just the tracks and pads?

galaxiex

Welcome!

You would probably have to draw your own PCB using the layout as a guide.

I use ExpressPCB.  https://www.expresspcb.com/

It's a free download.  :)

There are other free PCB programs out there, Google is your friend.   :)
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

stringsthings

phatt

@ Stringthing,, Q, Are you intending on printing and etching the PCB at home?
If so it is quite involved.
A word of advice from someone who has been doing home PCB's for a long time,,,,, Buy a breadboard **First**
And make damn sure the circuit posted does in fact work long before you start making boards.
If you do not then expect to take about 4 times longer to get to what actually does work. :-X

Some circuits may well work for the person who made them but the outcome can vary when used on your amp/guitar setup.
You need to suss out the person who posted the schematic/layout and ask a few q's before you commit to building. He might be a country pickin freak and you might be a heavy metal slasher. He might use a Tele and you might have a 7 string monster.  So the outcome will be completely different even though it's the same circuit.

@ *galaxiex*
Please fill me in if I'm wrong but unless I'm mistaken,, ExpressPCB is a paid service that prints your PCB but I don't think you can use it to print your own PCB.
Phil.

galaxiex

Quote from: phatt on January 22, 2017, 02:14:19 AM

@ *galaxiex*
Please fill me in if I'm wrong but unless I'm mistaken,, ExpressPCB is a paid service that prints your PCB but I don't think you can use it to print your own PCB.
Phil.

Ahhh, yes... Sorry, I have been doing this for so long,
I forget that others may not have been doing what I sometimes take for granted  :-[

ExpressPCB is a free download. Not a free board service.

True, ExpressPCB has that paid board thing built in, but I don't use it.
It will however, allow you to print out the PCB artwork you create in the program.

I use ExpressPCB to create the PCB artwork, then print from the program onto transfer paper.
Then iron the transfer onto the blank board.
Then etch it myself with ferric chloride.

There are plenty of tutorials online that go into detail of the process.

Once again, Google is your friend.  :)

Edit;
It's a new day and I re-read what I wrote above....

I made some changes to what I originally wrote.
Sincere apologies.

(Self reminder.... don't post late at night after having had a few rum drinks.  :o  ::)  :-[ )
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

J M Fahey

I use the Schematic drawing module from Express PCB because it´s very simple, intuitive, and "prints"  well on a computer screen.

In general, as said above, I suggest you:
1) get a large sheet of paper
2) draw all PCB components in *roughly*  the position you want them to be, but everything 2X the final drawing size.
Copying a screen layout by hand is fine.
3) with pencil and a *good*  eraser (you´ll use it a lot)  start drawing tracks connecting desired points.
Feel free to erase and redraw as many times as needed any one you don´t like or crosses other path it shouldn´t.
If drawing gets too messy or you dig a hole through paper (not kidding), redraw the last version on another sheet of paper and continue.

Eventually tou will end with one you like.
Then redraw it on screen using any software you like, including Express PCB.

The screen version can be tweaked as much as you want, so start large and only compact at the end.

Avoid "autorouters" , they will place parts and tracks where *they*  want, not what you need.

EDIT: for relatively simple designs, consider using Bancika´s "DIY Layout Creator"  perfect for DIYers  which not only does PCBs but also helps with perfboard/veroboard designs .
Get the Version 1 (Windows only) because it´s actually the best but also because there is a nice Library of projects contributed by Users ... look at them and you´ll pick lots of great ideas.