Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

July 26, 2024, 09:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Transformer mounting orientation

Started by mr.death, June 03, 2024, 10:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.death

Hi, I have a replacement transformer I'm going to install in my Peavey Bandit 65. Its not a direct replacement so the mounting holes are different. Question is does the transformer have to mounted a certain way? Does it latter which way is up? Thanks

mr.death

I mounted it with no issues. The original holes ended up lining up after all, no issues with operation, no humm, buzz.  8)

g1

That's great you didn't have to do any drilling, and no excess hum.
What transformer did you end up using?

mr.death

It was from a fender frontman 65. Not sure how to post pix without having them hosted by website..

g1

It would be preferable to mount the other way if possible, with less exposed wiring.
The 2 black wires are carrying the 120V and you don't want any chance of a user being able to come in contact with them, or for them to get damaged.  Also, if those wires are not going through an original hole, the new hole can not have any sharp edges.
If you can, flip it over and mount so the 2 black wires are closest to the hole the wires route through.
Aside from that, the FM65 transformer is a great match for voltages and power capability (for Bandit 65).

mr.death

Quote from: g1 on June 04, 2024, 01:39:49 PMIt would be preferable to mount the other way if possible, with less exposed wiring.
The 2 black wires are carrying the 120V and you don't want any chance of a user being able to come in contact with them, or for them to get damaged.  Also, if those wires are not going through an original hole, the new hole can not have any sharp edges.
If you can, flip it over and mount so the 2 black wires are closest to the hole the wires route through.
Aside from that, the FM65 transformer is a great match for voltages and power capability (for Bandit 65).

I'm going to leave it as is. Its my amp and I'm careful with my stuff so I dont see me damaging the wires. I used the original wire hole that has a grommet so thats no issue. No sharp edges to be seen!! All good. Thanks.

g1

Ok, if it's your own amp you can leave it like that.
Just mentioned in case it was going to someone else.  Don't want to have to change your name from mr. to Dr.  ;D 

Jazz P Bass

J M Fahey

1) agree that in SS amps, supply voltages often match or at least are real close if power is about same (here 65 W) and supposing speaker impedance is same (8 ohm?.so power transformers should be more or less interchangeable.
Only problems come, sometimes, if main winding voltages match but some get preamp voltage out of main rails, by attenuating those using Zeners or regulators (as in Fender, Laney, Marshall, etc.), while Asian ones add extra 2 x 15-20 VAC secondaries.
So if you need those you _might_ have to buy an extra small transformer for that.
Often happens with popular Antek toroids.