Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Rod Elliott's Project 27 and Amp

Started by ghoshsubha444@gmail.com, February 27, 2013, 04:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatt

Roly you do have a knak for finding funny pictures :lmao:

I doubt the house would need a bug zapper cause even the fly's would have trouble navigating all that wire.

Or maybe they worry about the Roman invasion. ;)

But Hey, give him credit he is using a bamboo ladder and he is wearing rubber thongs.

Yeah looking at ghoshsubha's pictures I'm a bit concerned about all that stuff just hanging off a make shift work area. :trouble

Now I do not wish to dampen the enthusiasm of those wanting to learn,,,But Yep Safety comes first So PLEASE guys think about where and how you setup stuff like this as you can land yourself in deep trouble in the blink of an eye.

I read one case (it may have been here?) where a kid was trying out his over the head Hendrix style picking and as he threw the guitar up over his head those new string ends which had not been cut flicked into the Empty light socket above him which had been left ON after bulb removed. This instantly destroyed the Amplifier circuit and the guitar internals. :duh

Lucky for him the amp made a better path to ground than he did but you may not be so lucky.
I've had live open transformers and wire fall off my bench and you learn to at least gaffa tape temporary stuff down hard Especially if you have free Mains wire.

Big wads of tape go across open switches and transformer taps as it is just to darn easy to slip up.

I work on a wooden bench and I stand on a 20mm thick rubber mat and I wear shoes. :dbtu:

Plug paks make fairly safe supplies for testing (join 2 for dual rails)
I did a lot of early experiments with 2 old printer supplies which delivered 37VDC open circuit.
Two of these powered my first venture into making power Amplifier circuits.

When I did get into serious prototype I built a separate PSU in metal case with switch/fuse and screw and banana terminals for output to drive the bigger Amp circuits.

Even if you have the wiring earth Stuff all sorted with all that hanging out like this WILL ONE DAY Cause grief.
As has already been implied,,, the short cut is often the longer path.

If you live anywhere near an industrial estate then go find sheet metal workshops they throw out heaps of parts/offcuts/seconds that often make good proto boxes.
Or scrap metal yards and like places.
Phil.

Roly

I couldn't find the one I was looking for, a guy on an aluminium extension ladder being held vertical by half a dozen blokes at the bottom, up in a Gordian knot of cables suspended in mid air.

I don't think a wooden ladder and rubber thongs would help.  Gutsy or stupid; you wouldn't get me up in that lot for anything (and I've done some hairy stuff at times on live switchboards).

{I wish I had a pic of one English switchboard I saw that had fuses consisting of exposed clips holding glass tubes about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter with fuse wire threaded though them - and no cover.}

I don't recall the light socket incident, but Rod has a lurid warning on his site about changing guitar strings near a live amp (or live anything for that matter).  Vent holes are only designed to stop small fingers, not unruly guitar strings.

Yep, the best you can expect is FLASHBANG!!! and a smoking ruin.  At worst you "shake hands with beef".  Safety is only excessive until you don't have enough of it. 
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

ghoshsubha444@gmail.com

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Ha ha!!

ghoshsubha444@gmail.com

hello ssguitar users

I am little busy with my exam...will start the project as soon as my exam is over..

Have a nice day!

see you later.

Roly

Quote from: ghoshsubha444@gmail.com on April 11, 2013, 12:28:30 PM
I am little busy with my exam...will start the project as soon as my exam is over..

That's good, and that's good.  Best of luck.   :dbtu:

yoyoy_kun

is this still project 27?
im confused because you have 6 pcb...

yoyoy_kun

Roly

Quote from: yoyoy_kun on September 26, 2013, 03:42:07 AM
ghoshsubha444@gmail.com, can post your pcb layout with the components?

Rod has boards for sale.