Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 09:49:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Mod an OLD amp?

Started by olds_cool63, April 19, 2010, 04:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olds_cool63

Hey, gang.

I'm new here and happy to be here.

I'm looking to mod an old solid state amp I have.

It's a 1978 Hohner 1230 (original owner). I plan to build a case to hold 2 x 12" and bump it up to maybe 60 - 100 watts.

My question is (and keep in mind I'm new to this kind of stuff) how can I bump up the watts while using most of the existing componentry? Or would I have to get a kit with the desired wattage? If so, where can I find a good deal?

I like the amp and it has served my well for 32 years. I just wanna take it up a notch.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Nuff said.

I guitar, therefore I am!   8)

rowdy_riemer

I think if it were me, I'd leave it alone and build a separate amp. You could bump up the power supply and add some beefier heat sinks and stuff, but if you fry the output transistors on an old 1978 amp, I'm guessing you'll have a hard time finding a replacements. If you really want a higher powered version of the amp you have, maybe you could find the schematics for it and try to modify the design for more power, and build the modified design from scratch.

tonyharker

Didnt you like the answers you got on the other forums? Or are you waiting for someone to say yes you can do it like this :)

I'm afraid you are asking too much from an old amp like that, you cant do what you want without a major rebuild.

J M Fahey

Since you'd have to upgrade poweramp, power supply , speaker, and modify the metalwork, (not to mention trying to fit all that on (un) available space, I'd rather build a powered enclosure with all those elements you'll have to buy anyway, use the original amp as-is at home or in small places, and boost it on larger venues.

rowdy_riemer

You might even want to consider why you like the sound of your amp and what makes it unique? If all that sets it apart from the sound of other amps is the speakers, then there may be no need to replicate the power amp at all. In fact, you might can just duplicate the preamp/tone controls, etc, use an appropriate chip amp for power gain, and use similar speakers rated for the higher power.

olds_cool63

Quote from: tonyharker on April 20, 2010, 10:47:20 AM
Didnt you like the answers you got on the other forums? Or are you waiting for someone to say yes you can do it like this :)

I'm afraid you are asking too much from an old amp like that, you cant do what you want without a major rebuild.

Hey, it never hurts to seek other opinions or are you against that?  ;D

Anyway, I will most likely do a fresh build since I've seen some good stuff out there. I'll keep the questions coming!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

I guitar, therefore I am!  8)

olds_cool63

Thanks for all the info that came up while I was posting the previous message.

Yeah, I saw a good deal on a cab with 2 12's...now I just need to find the preamp/amp stuff so I can do a build.

I'll start a new thread once I get started. Of course, I have more research to do!

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

I guitar, therefore I am.  8)