Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

TDA2050 Pwr requirements

Started by MaxElectrode, February 17, 2009, 10:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxElectrode

Hi guys, I have a few questions that someone might be able to help me with:

I have a TDA2050 chip I want to use to build a Guitar amp with.  Problem is that I can't seem to find Power requirements for the chip.  Have checked the Data sheet and it says nothing about current required.  Just says +/- 25v.  I have a 48V ct 100va (2 amps) transformer laying around I would like to put to use.  Is That enough to power it properly to make good power, or will it need higher current.

If not enough current (2A) How much will I need to develope full power?

How much power can I expect out of it on +/- 24V@2A

Any help would be muchly appreciated

Thnx------Max

tonyharker

The data sheet I've got states - "Output peak Current (Internally limited) 5 A"
This is for a ST chip.

Edit..  The actual current drawn by the chip will be determined by the output (Watts) developed in the speaker.  By the way your Transformer voltage appears to be too High 48v CT = 24 + 24 vAC which will give you 24v * 1.414 = nearly +/-34v DC after rectification which will blow the chip :'(

A better transformer will be 32v CT ie 16 + 16 vAC which will give +/- 22.6v DC this will develop 32 watts rms @ 10% distortion into an 4 ohm speaker or 22 watts into 8 ohms. 
The current required will be approx 4A in 4 ohms or  2.5A in 8 ohms.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

J M Fahey

Hi MaxElectro.
I agree fully with Tony Harker, his math is flawless.
I add: since you already have a serviceable transformer, the single most expensive part of a project and the most cumbersome and expensive to mail, I suggest you save your TDA 2050 for a future project and instead build a 50W@8ohm amplifier with an LM3886. Download its datasheet, you'll see your transformer is spot-on . Your 100VA rating is safe.
Please post here your project.
Thanks.
J M Fahey.