Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

hiwat maxwatt g100r problem

Started by aly68, January 17, 2014, 09:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly

Quote from: phattMight just be a cracked or cold solder where the socket mounts on the PCB.
Also could be the tiny terminals inside the socket have died, if it is the fully encapsulated type.
In that case you would need to replace the socket.

Wot Phil said.   :tu:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

aly68

Arghhhhhhh ! So it looks like it's out of my hands. I have to take it to repair, damn.
Anyway, thank you Phil and Roly !

phatt

If you feel confident enough and can gain access to the solder side of the input socket without destroying anything then it maybe a simple re-flow of solder.

In good light you maybe able to see a hairline crack around the tangs of socket on PCB.
Some gear can be a nightmare just to see a problem in which case yes you may need a professional person to fix it.

PCB mounted 6.5 sockets are often a problem as there is a fair bit of mechanical stress on these once a plug is inserted.
The constant movement even though small will eventually crack the solder.
Phil.

Roly

Quote from: phattSome gear can be a nightmare just to see a problem in which case yes you may need a professional person to fix it.

...and other times it can leap right out at you, so have a good look with ample light first.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

aly68

Thanks, guys !
I'm not shure enough in my abylities to fix this, so I'm gonna take it to qualified person.
Just sad that it's worked that way...

J M Fahey

Agree.
Replace socket and look around it with good light and a loupe or strong reading glasses , I'm sure there are cracked pads or jack legs or tracks split/cracked just before reaching the jack contacts.
Jacks, specially input ones, are the most abused part in an amp.
People yanks cables or plain steps on them.