Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:55:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

AC30 VR doesn't produce sound.

Started by luke24_5, April 26, 2016, 02:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke24_5

My Vox AC30 VR hybrid amp's power light comes on but no sound is produced.  I can tap on the chassis and there is some static as if something is loose, of the capacitors one gets hotter than the others but there's no swelling or leaking.  The longer I leave the amp on, the more noise it makes as I turn it off. (a sputtering like sound.)  Tried different guitars but the same results.  Worked great one day and not at all the next.  There was no noticeable static the last day it worked.  We replaced the tube but no change and both the old and new tubes glow as it warms up.  Their are no burned spots on the board.  If I turn it on and turn it off shortly thereafter there is virtually no noise but the warmer it gets the worse we hear the noise as it turns off. 

Turing the potentiometers have no effect.  Strum all you want and nothing comes out the amp.  Any ideas on what to check?

Vitrolin

hey

check the supply voltages, both the regulated (used for preamp) and the unregulated (used for poweramp).
unregulated should be around +/-26V measured on diode bridge og C13/C22
and regulated +/-15V measured on C19/C28

Vitrolin

after posting i reread your question...

capacitors shouldn't get hot, my guess is that its shorted.
wich capacitor is getting hot?
with your amp turned off, take your meter and measure the resistance or conductivity of the capacitor.

i posted a schematic

DrGonz78

Quote from: Vitrolin on April 27, 2016, 12:51:37 PMcapacitors shouldn't get hot, my guess is that its shorted.
wich capacitor is getting hot?
with your amp turned off, take your meter and measure the resistance or conductivity of the capacitor.

Which capacitor is it in relation to the schematic? Also, please be aware that you want to test the caps for any stored charge before you test any resistances with your meter. You will need to drain the caps first before testing for resistance.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

TolerBear

I'm guessing your output is good. Try maybe something in the power section?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk