Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:47:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Gretsch tubeamp transformer

Started by pepparspray, December 09, 2008, 07:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepparspray

Hiya!
Me and a friend is talking about building a tubeamp with som minor solid state addon and we were wondering if someone could help us with parts.

Our fysics teacher told us that we needed a special kind of transformer because one of the tubes were strange. Since our teacher is the strangest person we've met we don't exactly trust him. Could someone help us figure it out?

Here's the schematics: http://www.2shared.com/file/4423507/b4ecf2e4/gretsch6150a.html

So if someone understand what the schematics mean by this please reply :)

teemuk

Looks like a pretty standard setup for tube amps. You need two transformers:

1 x Power transformer with three secondary windings:
- HT/B+ winding ??? Volts
- 6,3V filament winding with proper current carrying capability for 1x6V6GT and 1x12AX7
- 5V filament winding with proper current carrying capability for the 5Y3GT rectifier tube
Get the datasheets and see how much currrent the filaments of these tubes will draw.

1 x SE-audio/output transformer:
This will convert the 8-ohm secondary impedance to a proper primary impedance
(I believe) the right primary impedance for a 6V6GT should be about 5K - 7.5K, so something like a Hammond 125CSE might be allright for this amp.

Tube experts, plese correct me if I'm wrong.

Jack1962

Teemuk is dead on , for these transformers for the output transformer use a Hammond P-T1650E (15 watts (that's all you really get from to 6v6's)) for the power transformer use a Fener Champ replacement Xformer #125P1B.022772 . This is just an old 15 watt(if bias hot and pushed real hard 16-18 watt) 6V6 Valco amp , they are ok if you like thee Fender tones.