Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:47:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

A Little Help......

Started by Number_47, July 23, 2008, 12:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number_47

Ok.....so I'm new to the amp game, and my problem is...after hearing my father & his best friend talk about tube amps for years, I've decided that I'm only going to use SS amps with my rig, I won't go into details but I find the sound of tube amps a bit "mushy" for my tastes....I feel that SS amps have more definition in them...that being said can anyone recommend a good sounding SS amp that doesn't cost an arm & a leg? One with 2 channels, (3 is good but I only really ever use just 2!) And one that (preferrably!) "Made In America"? A couple of friendsa of mine have given me info on a company called Carvin, and another one called Kustom but I've been checking the web and it appears there's a whold bunch of companies that do SS amps for the masses. (B-52, Crate, Carvin, Randall, Tech21, Behrigner..etc.) Just wondering...if anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly much appreciated!

Thanx!

Number_47
'Scuse me While I Kiss The Sky"....

nashvillebill

I've had great success with Peavey over the years.  There's certainly other brands besides the ones you mentioned, some of the Fender SS stuff is very good IMHO.

However, few amps are made in USA anymore.  The amp market is so competitive that most manufacturers are outsourcing to keep their prices in line with the competition. 

Jack1962

I too Like the Peavey's (older ones actually), the Tech 21 is good the B52 is great, also check out Crate, Randalls i just don't like the tone. as for tube amps being mushy , not all amps tube and Solid State are created equal, I have a Solid State , that the reason I keep it is because it come real close to the tube amp sound , but I can keep it running cheaper (I run a shop and bro , the profit made on Solid State verse's Tube is amazing).
Check out a lot of amps before you buy, also if you use amp modeling find the cleanest amp you can, with a generic amplified tone.

Rock On

Number_47

Thanx to all of you for your responses....I've done my homework, and it seems I'm going to do the "Carvin" thing....it's going to be awesome here's how it's gonna be:

1 Fender Standard Strat>>aNALOG Man Peppermint Fuzz>>Jim Dunlop Wah>>MojoHand Nebula Phaser>>Carvin SX300H Head>>TruTone 2x12 Cabinet Side By Side With Avatar 2x12 Cabinet....I have almost all the pieces to my "tone" puzzle! Thanks again for all the info.!! I also may be looking into building my own pedals.....(Tired os seeinf someone ELSE's name under my feet!..LoL!) So I'll probably be on here a lot asking all KINDS of stoopid questions!!!

Number 47

If you've never been....check out these links!!!

http://www.trutonecustome.com

http://www.avatarspeakers.com
'Scuse me While I Kiss The Sky"....

nashvillebill

Ought to be loud, that's for sure.  Might want to think about hearing protection!

Traditionally the wah is the first element in the effects loop, but if you prefer it second, go for it...

Enjoy!

Jack1962

sounds like a winner, I agree with Nashville , I always have the Wah as my 1st stomp.

Rock On