Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Official SSGuitar kit, on-board options

Started by joecool85, April 24, 2020, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the SSGuitar battery amp have...

no extra on-board options
7 (23.3%)
headphone jack
3 (10%)
aux input jack
0 (0%)
headphone jack and aux input jack
16 (53.3%)
other (please explain below)
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: May 08, 2020, 10:49:55 AM

joecool85

It's been decided, we're doing a battery amp!  It's all pretty much nailed down on paper, I'm ordering parts soon to breadboard it in completion.  I have a couple more decisions to make, and I'd like you to help!  Please vote on what we should do for our on-board options!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

joecool85

To be clear, this PCB will have spots to mount the gain, tone, and volume potentiometers.  Guitar input and speaker output jacks will be off board.  1/8" jacks work well on-board, so I would consider doing them that way.
thatraymond.com

Oooscar

joecool85

Quote from: Oooscar on April 24, 2020, 11:19:09 AM
Looking forward for the schematic...

Once I get everything verified I will share the schematic so folks can check it out.  Then I will gets the boards printed.  Should be slick!
thatraymond.com

Ymel

other:
I have been searching for (battery) small amp for 2 reasons: practice and small venues.
My requests
- wide range speaker (or plus switchable (!) tweeter)
- onboard effects: reverb, distortion
- built in tuner
- built in drum samples with odd rhythm patterns added!!!!!
- USB
- Bluetooth to add more effects
- microphone input - the tweeter active
- acoustic channel for the guitar - the tweeter active!

So far the best up to now is the NUX Mighty 8 Bt , though lacks of some features above but price/value range is the best recently

sowhat

Have not been here lately, so you're making an amp eh? Is it a chip amp or is it a discrete amp where you can do things with stuff like negative feedback. If so there once was an amp called the Redmere which emulated a Fender, a Marshall and a Vox all by clever switchable routes within the amp circuitry itself. That would be cool but it all depends on what your approach is.

joecool85

Quote from: sowhat on April 24, 2020, 02:29:01 PM
Have not been here lately, so you're making an amp eh? Is it a chip amp or is it a discrete amp where you can do things with stuff like negative feedback. If so there once was an amp called the Redmere which emulated a Fender, a Marshall and a Vox all by clever switchable routes within the amp circuitry itself. That would be cool but it all depends on what your approach is.

It's going to be a discrete preamp (MPSA13 circuit) running into a modified BMP tone stack feeding an LM386.  It's quite versatile, fairly inexpensive, and easily mod-able.
thatraymond.com

mckayprod

I like having the headphone out, but I'd like to see some provision for variation of supply voltage.  Maybe two 9v batts for an 18v circuit and more headroom, or two 9v in parallel for more current or longer battery life.  I vote "other".

Sfmag1

I would say for busking outdoors, a 12volt battery to power probably a class d amp. Simple but loud is the way to go. I would have to say use Phil jones briefcase and double four as models. xP

g1

I voted for aux. in & headphone out options.
I figured it would be easy enough to omit those with jumpers if someone doesn't want them (make them optional).

LateDev

Headphone and DI out (pre-tone)

Any reason for using the darlington for i/p, why not a FET opamp, which would sound better imho.

The addition of a driven MOSFET output pair with variable bias to get a cross over distortion, rather than the usual clipping types that use diodes.
This would be variable between clean biased correctly and increasing offset bias for the distortion.

Just a thought based on an old design

tpb03

Any update on the progress. I see in the news that the pcbs have arrived   :dbtu:

joecool85

Quote from: tpb03 on July 24, 2020, 07:21:58 PM
Any update on the progress. I see in the news that the pcbs have arrived   :dbtu:

Things got tied up with me being crazy busy at home and work.  It's still progressing, just slowly.  I'm about to get another small run done for a second prototype with a few changes in the tone stack and some new artwork on the board.   :dbtu:
thatraymond.com