Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Anyone use "store bought" preamps?

Started by joecool85, April 19, 2006, 04:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

I've been thinking about trying to find a preamp, but if you buy them new they seem pretty pricey.  Anyone have any luck with using a preamp to a power amp?  IE - Dean Markley (or any other brand) preamp to PA or something?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

trevize

i used for some months a mesa v-twin stompbox into a 20W mesa power amp.
it was really a great pre, used also into a mixer with
runoffgroove cabinet simulator.

joecool85

thatraymond.com

trevize

no i don't.

Now i have a fender stereo setup :)
fender twin with all the modulation pedals and the other channel is a fender m80 transistors with
meazzi echomatic tape delay.

But you should consider building a tube preamp. or maybe a tube stompbox in front af a solid state pre
like the tube driver or the real mctube on tonepad (i've heard great comments on the real mctube, and it seems
very easy too)

joecool85

I've heard some sound clips of the real mctube, and while it is good, it doesn't seem as amazing as people make it out to be.
thatraymond.com

trevize

yes but look at the schematic!

it's a really simple two stage preamp. now look at the fetzer of runoffgroove, the sixteen overdrive
http://diy.erikhansen.net/schematics/misc/sixteenoverdrive.gif

as you see it would be really simple to tweak this one. changing the caps would change the general tone
and if you keep in mind biasing you can change almost everything keeping the layout!

i think that this pedal/preamp will be my next build.