Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

First ampbuild, tips.

Started by medium85, February 24, 2010, 02:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medium85

Hello.

I'm new to this forum and guitar amp builds in general and i would like some tips on building an amp.

I do not have that much knowledge on amps, but i want to build a tubeamp.
I will use the amp to play with some friends and i need enough power to be heard over drums bass and another guitar.

The amp cannot be to expensive, the cheaper the better  ;), and i want it to sound something like the old guns n roses (marshall sound)
I have read some forums but i find kits for home use or for concerts....

I have looked at these amps, is this something anyone could recomend?
http://guitaramplifierpcbs.com/liteiib.aspx

/Regards Alexander

J M Fahey

Without reading your full post, I would also have recommended some flavor of "18 Watt", so that now makes two of us.
The board *looks* good, can't say more judging from a picture, and the price is cheap, so, what are you waiting for?
Probably for a full Guns sound you will have to provide some external clean boost (piece of cake) and , of course, hook it to a good speaker, nothing less than a Greenback, V30 or a similar one from the Eminence guys.
Good luck and keep us informed. :tu:

medium85

The problem is i cant find all the parts from the same vendor...
I live in sweden and antique electronic supply isn't carrying all the parts that is needed.  xP
But i'm thinking of ordering what they got and try to find the rest here.

J M Fahey

The very specific parts are board, chassis and transformers (maybe cabinet too, if you don't make it); all other electronics components are available anywhere, specially in a Country as advanced as Sweden.
Don't fall for the vendor fables about orange capacitors, oxygen free rubber and cloth wire, plutonium resistors and nuclear proof gold-plated sockets ; buy good commercial components from reputable suppliers.
You can also buy from the rest of Europe or even UK (which claim *not* to belong to Europe  ;D)
What's causing you trouble?