Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Anyone try the new Randall solid state RG heads

Started by Anomaly, March 13, 2015, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anomaly

I was thinking about buying one to replace my aging 80's RG heads. I've heard they are based upon the old Irvine made models?? but I am wondering if they live up to that tone wise?? Anyone try one? Interested in the RG3003H head in particular.

aronph

I have a RG3003. Total suck. Ill sell it to you though :-). It's listed in the Columbus, Ohio Craigslist classifieds. Let me know when you want to get rid of those old RG's.

teemuk

QuoteI've heard they are based upon the old Irvine made models??

Not sure about the newest.... but for quite long period (At least from RGII series and alike, if not longer) all the amps they produced in Asia had preamps downright cloned from the SS Fender amps. And very blatantly I would say. Makes Behringer look like quireboys.

I recall they recently made some noise about returning to preamp designs with discrete JFETs, you know, what those famous RG-series amps were about. I would assume that at the moment there would be only a handful of these amps, rest would have "Fender preamps".

That said, Randall's been making "RG" series since day one so basically I would just regard "RG" as an abbreviation of "Randall" and "Guitar", not as much as as a suggestion that all "RG" series amps are even remotedly alike. They are not.

J M Fahey

Quote from: teemuk
but for quite long period (At least from RGII series and alike, if not longer) all the amps they produced in Asia had preamps downright cloned from the SS Fender amps. And very blatantly I would say. Makes Behringer look like quireboys. I would assume that at the moment there would be only a handful of these amps, rest would have "Fender preamps".
Interesting.
Can you post such a schematic?
Would love to see one.

teemuk

J M Fahey

OUCH!!!!
How did they think they would get away with THAT?

I mean, everybody and his brother copier OLD Fenders , but an SS current production ne is incredible.

Best case they are broadcasting to the World: "hey, WE are not the real thing, we are nothing special, forget Dimebag, just go buy a used SS fender for peanuts at Craigslist or a garage sale, it's exactly the same" 
Thanks for posting :)