Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:53:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Anyone else for the new Roland Blues Cube?

Started by bluesgroove, April 12, 2015, 11:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesgroove

I just got the Artist model and I'm really pleased with it.
A great feature is the additional option to buy a tone capsule which completely modifies the tone from the amp.

I've done a quick demo here for a rough idea of the amp.
http://youtu.be/dx9rTZxowoM

phatt

Hi bluesgroove, welcome :tu:

It's hit and miss with the  nature of the media so hard to make a value comment but way too much edge which seems to be the trait of many amps now. So not my idea of a good blues amp.
I have to put up with a slide player at a local gig and he has a roland cube thing and the edge on the treble is ear bleeding stupid, It's actually not that loud but it hurts the ears and I have to leave when he plays. :-X

A lot of that COSM gear has a nasty habit of harsh edge to it,, but if you like it that is all that matters. :tu:

In my observation good blues amps sound fat with just enough treble to give it clarity, too much top end just gets harsh and edgy and turning the treb pot down is not the answer as it's a complex combination of many factors that make up the overall result (System tone)
A darker speaker might help a bit.
just my 2 cents
Phil.

bluesgroove

Quote from: phatt on April 13, 2015, 08:25:30 AM
Hi bluesgroove, welcome :tu:

It's hit and miss with the  nature of the media so hard to make a value comment but way too much edge which seems to be the trait of many amps now. So not my idea of a good blues amp.
I have to put up with a slide player at a local gig and he has a roland cube thing and the edge on the treble is ear bleeding stupid, It's actually not that loud but it hurts the ears and I have to leave when he plays. :-X

A lot of that COSM gear has a nasty habit of harsh edge to it,, but if you like it that is all that matters. :tu:

In my observation good blues amps sound fat with just enough treble to give it clarity, too much top end just gets harsh and edgy and turning the treb pot down is not the answer as it's a complex combination of many factors that make up the overall result (System tone)
A darker speaker might help a bit.
just my 2 cents
Phil.

Hi Phil, thanks for reply.
Sorry to hear about your sore ears, I have heard a number of comments about how the older cube amps and the Jazz Chorus model are particularly good.

The amp I've got though is just out, I tried a number of amps in the same price range and this was right for me. It's using what roland call tube logic and it seems to be a notch up.

If your slide player is a big roland fan, maybe you should get him to try one of these instead.

Roly

Quote from: bluesgroovethe older cube amps

(Errata: the title and caption should read Cube-40.  Model: SCL-40 Serial: 742799)

The full story;
http://www.ozvalveamps.org/repairs/cube40.htm
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.