Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 02:22:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Acoustic again

Started by gbono, August 28, 2012, 02:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbono

http://www.acousticbassusa.com/

Has anyone checked out this site? One of the principals of the company posts on the unofficial acoustic site (cheap advertising).
http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/directory

Not sure what to make of the design other than it looks like a make over of the 360/1 for $5K.

J M Fahey

Yes, it looks like they are reissuing the beast.
If fully USA made and in small quantities, it will be expensive, so no surprise there.
Considering inflation it's cheaper than the 1971 one.

Enzo

Is there more than one Acoustic these days? Like these guys and someone else making under that bvrand?   Seems to me the Acoustic brand was resurrected a few years back.  I associate it in my memory with Samick, but can find no history on that.

Yes, the 360 was a big deal in its day, then the SVT came along.

The 360 was a cool amp, but considering the advances in materials and parts in the last 40-45 years, not to mention circuit designs, one wonders how close to the original this will actually be.

J M Fahey

Well, reading the specs, it has been improved.
400W RMS instead of the original 200; a titanium driver horn (the original one by definition had *zero* treble) and I'm sure they have incorporated compression/limiting, the one *big* problem the original had.
The big difference it has with all others offered today is the *big* LF horn, with its particular sound and huge projection.
I bet it must be a real wall shaker.
The horn really is a development of Cerwin Vega, which later used it for the "Earthquake" film.

gbono

One of the principal's of the acoustic brand USA company (not to be confused with the Guitar Center Acoustic brand) posts on the acoustic site. From what I gather the new 360 is a "major improvement" over the old beast - pretty cheeky - reintroducing 40 year old designs for $5K during an economic depression.  ??? ???

J M Fahey

Well, you can always buy a $199 chinese Bass Amp  ;)