Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fried my power amp

Started by erokit, March 26, 2012, 10:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erokit

When putting back together my gk 200rb after speaker repair, the connector for the power source fit the speaker out and fried the power amp. Read,and should have thought, that this kind of failure cascades. Tested out the power circuit trans and ordered the the parts.

I replaced the 4 power trans, and it tested out fine. Thought about replacing the two phase splitters, but (unwisely?) didn't. I also didn't replace the trans that feeds the PNP side of he power section (is that what is called the driver trans?)

After putting the heat sink back on and reassembling the combo, I had a short. The bridge rectifier was heating up, so I ordered the replacement for that. I already ordered the other trans I didn't replace previously. I also ordered extra in case I had problems.

If I was a pro I would check everything. Am I on the right track looking at bridge rectifier?

polo16mi

Hi there:

I´m not really know how to help you fix your amp, but at first step, im pretty sure that you´ll find usefull this Light Bulb Limiter, to save several component$$$.

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=2093.msg17092#msg17092

I sure too, that you wait for a while here, and you get some more usefull help.

erokit

:o
When putting back together my gk 200rb after speaker repair, the connector for the power source fit the speaker out and fried the power amp. Read that this kind of failure cascades. Tested out the power circuit trans and ordered the the parts.

I replaced the 4 power trans, and it tested out fine. Thought about replacing the two phase splitters, but (unwisely?) didn't. I also didn't replace the trans that feeds the PNP side of the power amp (is that what is called the driver trans?)

After putting the heat sink back on and reassembling the combo, I had a short. The bridge rectifier was heating up, so I ordered a replacement. I already ordered the other trans I didn't replace previously. Ordered extra in case I had problems.

If I was a pro I would check everything. Am I on the right track looking at bridge rectifier?

J M Fahey

Hi erokit.
Problem is, you must replace all bad parts at once.
If you had, say, 7 bad ones, and replaced only 6; after turning it on, you won't need only the one you missed but many of the "new" ones too, because now you re-fried them.
1) google its schematic so we all can refer to the same parts,.
Or ask it from GK and post it here.
2) build a lamp bulb limiter (search this Forum) to avoid repeating catastrophic failures.
Good luck.

erokit

Working on my light bulb limiter. Saw that in my research.

Here's the power amp schematic.

Many thanks!

joecool85

erokit, no need to post in two sections.  I combined the threads to keep things clean.

Good luck!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Thanks God you found a clean readable schematic, with suggested voltage readings on it.
You'll have to check for shorts all transistor in the power amp and *maybe* replace the IC.
Don't worry, working slow and steady you'll solve it.