Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Newcomer... (and could use a little help...)

Started by Sixthview, March 26, 2012, 07:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixthview

Well, of all the boards I have been checking out, I decided to join this one as it seems as though there are some fairly knowledgeable folks on here.  So hello all!

I have been browsing around looking for an amp (or schematic).  Basically what I am looking for is the following:

• 50 - 100 watt amp, 50 preferred as I don't need the monster volume.
  • Solid State... Of course.
  • Only one CLEAN channel
  • Simple with a Volume, Bass, Mid, Treb control...  Other's are okay but not necessary.

And that's it...  Anyone ever hear of an amp like this?

polo16mi

This is what you want:

Go straight forward for a LM3886 chipamp power stage. Simple, easy, reliable, and mounted hundred of times with success. Kind of cheap too.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/13-amps/58-lm3886-amp

In the same page you can browse several preamps.

Hope help.

mexicanyella

I'm a ways from being ready to build my own, but in terms of buying something like you describe...what about scouring pawn shops/Craigslist for a starter bass combo in the 50 or 60 watt size? Older Crate B60s, Peavey Basics, Fender BXs?

I regret declining an offered Crate B60 once, when its owner just got tired of it and got a Hartke. Looking back, it would have been an interesting experiment to put a guitar speaker in it, and maybe even cut an opening in the back, radius the edges, re-trim the tolex to fit so it looked finished...it had simple controls like what you describe and I wish I'd have thought to crank it up with guitar and really see what it could do. Might have made an interesting one-channel guitar head, run through some guitar cabinet, too.

I once helped engineer a recording session of a sort of Rage Against The Machine-styled band whose guitar player was playing through some older Peavey keyboard combo, with the tweeter removed and its hole just acting as a reflex port. It had simple single-channel controls too, but it either had the mids split into two bands, or it had semi-parametric mids...can't remember. I do remember he was running an SG and a Danelectro Fabtone into it and he was getting some really rude, rippin' distortion. A unique sound.

Anyway, those midsize bass and keyboard amps that aren't quite big enough to cut it on a loud gig could do fine with guitar, if you could get a tone you could work with...

Sixthview

Thanks to both of you so far! 

@polo16mi - I've considered building on for some time, I am just a little shy about working with more power.  I have built the Noisy cricket and a few other 1/2 watters which use the LM386, so I assume this would be along those lines, just able to handle more.

@mexicanyella - Bass amps...  I have so wanted to try that at some point.  What I would end up powering is a 4x12 with Celestions 75s.  I have always worried though about hurting the speakers with a bass amp.  Thoughts?  One that I was looking at was the Fender Rumble 150.  I know it has an OD channel, but I would just never touch it like on my Marshall. 

mexicanyella

The amp is just an amp, although maybe with a little different center frequencies on the equalization controls and different gain structure in the preamp. If you play a guitar into it, you'll still be sending guitar frequencies to the speakers and the issue will be whether you can achieve a tone you like running your guitar through that particular amp, or whether it sounds good with whatever pedals and stuff you combine it with.

My first gigging guitar amp was a Univox 1246B tube bass head powering a Fender 4 x 12, a Peavey 2 x 10 or both. 60 watts, cranked, sometimes with an attenuator knocking a few dB off the speaker signal. No speaker damage occurred. Now, if I'd been playing a bass through the amp into the guitar speakers, maybe then...

Plug into that Rumble Bass and by all means, try out the OD channel! It might be great!

Sixthview

Well, recently, I have been returning to my roots of the Siamese Dream days.  Running my Muff through my 5150 just wasn't what I wanted.  I picked up a MG100FX off of Craig's List in a deal and I love the SS sound with the Muff, but I want to expand a little and try some other stuff.

Yeah, I am really leaning towards it (the rumble).  I figure once taxes post to my account I will order it from Amazon.  Worst case, I plug it in, don't like it and send it back for a refund.  And if that happens, it is up to the local music store to try to get him down on his AVT that he want's $250 for. 

joecool85

I agree if you decide to "roll your own" a LM3886 poweramp would be ideal.  chipamp.com is the place to get a kit.  You will want some sort of booster as a preamp and then add a 3 band tone stack.  There are lots of options for that, I'm sure someone will recommend one they have experience with.

If you decide to buy one, look for a Fender Frontman 65R.  Cheap, great clean channel and 65w of power through a 12" speaker.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com