Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

No sound from Traynor Reverb Mate 30

Started by Jalon7, March 11, 2012, 10:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jalon7

From what I've seen on this site it sounds like a great bunch of guys here. As a newcomer to this forum, and to guitars, good to see some down to earth musicians.

After 30 years of drumming (playing with drums..lol), I determined to fulfill this item on my bucket list. I've always wanted to learn guitar and/or bass. My daughter is going to learn with me and she is very excited about it! Although I think she is more excited about my promise to paint her guitar swirl pink with her name reversed into it.

Anyway...I found a used Traynor Reverb Mate 30, I think that is a TRM 30, got it home and after a few Rock&Roll strums the sound stopped. The light was still on, no pop or bad noise, just silence.

I noticed the input jack had dropped inside behind the faceplate. Apparently it originally came with plastic 1/4" input jacks (all other 1/4" jacks are plastic on this unit) but this one is metal and utilized the original plastic mounting nut which crumbled to pieces.

Could the frame of the input jack shorting out on the aluminum faceplate cause damage to the amplifier, or might this just be a coincidence to some other problem with this amp? I have tried hooking up the guitar making sure the input jack is isolated from the frame. I have power LED indicator but absolute silence otherwise.

BTW...I took a course on DC circuits about 20 years ago but have been doing carpentry since then. I can't remember alot looking at the schematics but hopefully with a little help ya'll can jog my memory. If there's any memory left!

polo16mi

HI there:

Sounds to me, that the pins of the input jack breakup of the board (pcb). With some luck, you wont be broken the pcb, so, is matter to buy same type of input jack and change it (asuming that you have a solder, and some soldering skill, no big deal).

Maybe help open it, look inside, take some pictures of suspicious part, then upload here.

Jalon7

Thanks polo16mi.

I did open it up but did not find noticeable physical damage. But like you said, I do need to take a closer look at solder joints and other details that I have picked up on after reading around this site for a bit.

I'll get back after awhile. Got some honey do on the kitchen to get done. Funny how the wife does not share my urgency in fixing this amp. lol.

I do appreciate your input.

joecool85

The new jack could very well be shorting out on the chassis, it could also be a bad solder joint.  First start by reflowing the joints on the input jack(s).  To do this, simply heat up the joint and add a touch (a very small amount) of new solder, then let it cool.  Do this to all those joints, if it still doesn't work, see if there is a way you can isolate the jack from the frame.  If that is impossible, you should look into a plastic jack replacement.  I would get a switchcraft jack if you go that route as other plastic jacks can be quite flimsy.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Jalon7

Thanks joecool85,
I took it down to the box and ended up finding a cracked solder joint @ the reverb pot. I tried my best to isolate the input jacks from the frame. I think they are isolated but its hard to tell right now.
Its working fine now except it is a little noisy ( which may have been there before It broke down) and makes a LOUD pop when turning it on or off. I'm pretty sure it didn't make loud pop before I worked on it. Thats why I think I may not have isolated the inputs well. I'm definately going to find some plastic input jacks for it and see how she does then.

joecool85

Quote from: Jalon7 on March 16, 2012, 01:40:56 PM
Thanks joecool85,
I took it down to the box and ended up finding a cracked solder joint @ the reverb pot. I tried my best to isolate the input jacks from the frame. I think they are isolated but its hard to tell right now.
Its working fine now except it is a little noisy ( which may have been there before It broke down) and makes a LOUD pop when turning it on or off. I'm pretty sure it didn't make loud pop before I worked on it. Thats why I think I may not have isolated the inputs well. I'm definately going to find some plastic input jacks for it and see how she does then.

You can get plastic jacks from smallbearelec.com or from mouser.com for pretty cheap.
thatraymond.com

Jalon7

Thanks joecool, Smallbear looks like a great resource. I'll be ordering a couple of new jacks and probably a bunch of stuff to play with.

joecool85

Quote from: Jalon7 on March 23, 2012, 01:26:02 PM
Thanks joecool, Smallbear looks like a great resource. I'll be ordering a couple of new jacks and probably a bunch of stuff to play with.

They are really good there.  It's a one man operation small business and he does a great job.
thatraymond.com