Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

SUNN Stage Lead power issue

Started by markorock37, December 20, 2011, 11:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markorock37

Picked up a Sunn stage lead for next to nothing. Has power but no sound. Found an open 680K resistor which I replaced. When I powered it up it fried one of the power resistors on the board. I couldn't find a schematic for it anywhere so anyone had any luck with these?

Loudthud

The Sunn Stage Lead is extremely rare. Probably only made one or two years. I'm a moderator on the Unofficial Sunn site and there are no known schematics. Let me know if you find one. Probably close to the Alpha or Beta series.

http://sunn.ampage.org/

markorock37

So I am finding out. I believe they only made it in 1975.

markorock37

This cab has 4 - 10" speakers. One was blown. So I'm on the hunt for one of those as well. I plan on completely restoring this amp.

Loudthud

The info I have says the Sunn part number of the speaker is 81-0116-00-90. A 10 inch 16 ohm speaker also used on Beta 410. Speakers might be stamped 0116 on the back if there is no Sunn label. Once in a while you'll see a Sunn speaker on Ebay.

J M Fahey

If you find none , and reconing is impossible or 3x the price of a new one,  remember that Jensen makes the *very* good and relatively inexpensive MOD speakers.
Many of them are available in 16 ohms.
The MOD 1050 in 16 ohms would be a perfect replacement.
They are available in incredible 4/8/16/32 ohms.

markorock37

Yep there were numbers stamped on the speakers alright. I'll check that tomorrow. I'm gonna try as best I can to keep it original. Thanks for the info!

J M Fahey

If possible, post a few close up pictures.
A front one, a back one and some closeup of whatever inscriptions it might have.
It was probably OEM made for them by Eminence or CTS or Pyle.
I guess Jensen was out of the picture by then (they were getting heavily into car speakers) .

J M Fahey

1) your speakers have no manufacturer´s codes (unusual) but show, as loudthud said, Sunn´s own internal code.
They have Alnico magnets (which were dropped everywhere between 1973/75 ) so in theory you shoud have it reconed (ask Ted Weber) although if too expensive or inconvenient, replace it by one of those I suggested earlier.
The amplifier board knows nothing about magnets.
Anyway keep the blown speaker frame, maybe in the future you change your mind.
2) from what´s visible in your slanted picture, the power amp has a driver transformer.
Please take a new one "from above" to see the entire board and how many power transistors it has, to compare it to better known models.
*Maybe* the power amp matches something .
Also show a closeup of the burnt area.
Just shooting in the dark.:(

J M Fahey

*Maybe* your power amp matches or is somewhat close to this Sunn Studio Bass

markorock37

Best pic I have at the moment, top right corner of the board just left of a ceramic resistor are two brown resistors. The one on the bottom of the two went up in smoke. Thanks for the schematic, looks similiar.

markorock37

Definitely keeping the speaker. I'll try to find a replacement but I will get it reconed if I have to. I'm sure this will be worth more in the long run if I keep it as original as possible. I do know those speakers sound good!

markorock37

The burned out guy is a 33 ohm 10%, is it safe to say a 5W will be sufficient?

J M Fahey

No, because *someting else* is burnt.
First repair that.
I´m quite sure the schematic reasonably matches the one I posted, with maybe a couple different values to account for the higher power (which means higher rail voltages).
That 33 ohm you mention probably is a 1/2W or at most 1W resistor, no more.
Your output transistors are probably blown, check them for shorts.
Search the Forum, it has been explained lots of times.
Also build a series lamp limiter (search it too).
Beware that Resistors R142/142 , labelled 33 ohms, are really 0.33 ohm ones.
I *hate* when they drop the leading "0" , which makes it easy to miss the dot.
The better European system is to use a letter to indicate the dot, so 0.33 (or even worse:  .33) ohms is written as 0R33 ; 1200 ohms is written 1K2 (instead of 1.2 K which might be misread as 12K if you miss the dot, specially in a photocopy or poor scan)
Oh well.