Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Gretsch 1960s Battery Operated Amps

Started by Puguglybonehead, October 17, 2011, 05:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puguglybonehead

Well, eventually I will come across one of these at a reasonable price. (the smaller Gadabout model usually goes for $100 - $150 on EvilBay or Craigslist) I really liked the sounds I heard from these amps. Very Vox-like. If there is no schematic paper pasted in the amp, then I will probably be posting gutshots.

Puguglybonehead

Well, I finally got my hands on one! A Gretsch Gadabout. Canada Customs or somebody in handling had managed to destroy the Jensen C8-R that was in there. Coil had been completely torn from the magnet and the cone was mangled. Had to have happened when the package was opened and "inspected" by some overpaid goon.  >:(

Anyways, tried it out with an Eminence 12" I had around. Sounds great! Flat, but nice, like an old Standel or something. Breaks up nicely when the volume is full. Will post a sound sample when a replacement speaker arrives.

I will also post some gut shots. I've only used it on AC mode so far. The battery leads are cut, and now I'm not sure of the correct polarity. Standard grounded chassis would make sense, but this thing is from the Germanium era, so could it possibly be reverse? I definitely want to get this puppy running on batteries if possible!

joecool85

I'd imagine by examining the PCB you could figure out which wire is positive and which is negative.  It might even be silk screened onto the board.  If not, you should be able to trace which parts of the AC PSU after rectified to DC go where, then match the wires to that.

I hope that made sense.   Good luck and keep us posted :tu:
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

QuoteHad to have happened when the package was opened and "inspected" by some overpaid goon. 

Actually, it is WAY more likely the amp was dropped.  When you drop an amp, even a boxed amp, on the ground, the sudden stop causes the magnet assembly to shear offg the speaker frame, and when it does this, it will also cause severe damage to the cone.

As an experiment, take an old dead speaker and try to rip the magnet off it.   That woulod take one mighty strong goon.   In the repair business we see sheared off magnets often enough.