Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:01:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pictures

Started by joecool85, March 27, 2006, 11:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian G

^Nice stuff, but your SOYCD sounds off :(

RDV

Quote from: rockgardenlove on April 20, 2006, 04:04:14 AM
^Nice stuff, but your SOYCD sounds off :(
Let's hear your version, Junior.

RDV

fuzzcentral

Well guys, I'll post a couple of pictures of some of my latest ventures...

Here's a "bad ass trio"...three brand new Axis Face MKII fuz pedals that I built for some customers...all ready for some action:

And here's a heavily modified Ross Compressor that I built a little over a year ago.  I managed to scrounge up a few real RCA CA3080E OTAs and I put one of them to use  :)

Phillip - Fuzz Central

Crystallas

Welcome Phillip!  great stuff you got there! :)

joecool85

How do you do your boxes, they look great?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

fuzzcentral

Quote from: joecool85 on August 19, 2006, 08:33:28 AMHow do you do your boxes, they look great?

Practice, practice, practice  ;)  Basically, lots of sanding with a hand-held orbital sander with some 120-grit sandpaper.  Just sand the bejeezus out of the top of the box (until it's smooth and free of imperfections in the casting), and then tip the sander up on the edge of the sanding disc and move the sander in quick, light strokes across the top of the box.  That creates the diagonal stripes in the aluminum.  The bottom plate is finished the same way.

I just sand the sides of the box smooth so that the color coat of paint will look nice and flat.  For the color coat I use acrylic lacquers since those dry fast and hard...plus you can get metallics at Wal Mart in the automotive section.  After the paint has cured I apply one coat of clear gloss lacquer.  Once that's dry I put the water-slide decals on the box.  Then a couple of hours later (when the decals have dried) I apply two more coats of clear lacquer.

The boxes are Hammond "B"s.  I've noticed that the Hammonds Bs that I've been getting from Mouser lately have all been made in the EU.  I have to say...the quality of these EU-made boxes is quite lacking compared to the previous Canadian-made boxes.  The EU boxes seem to have more casting imperfections that require quite a bit more sanding to remove...some of them wouldn't come out no matter how much I sanded!  The Canadian boxes were practically free of those types of hard to remove casting imperfections.

Maybe I should send a nasty email to Hammond  :trouble

Phillip

joecool85

EU = europe?

What do you use for the decals?  I normally write on my boxes with enamel paint.
thatraymond.com

fuzzcentral

Quote from: joecool85 on August 20, 2006, 07:35:21 AMEU = europe?

What do you use for the decals?  I normally write on my boxes with enamel paint.

Yep, the EU is the European Union.  It looks like they haven't quite perfected the art of aluminum casting quite as well as the Canadians  ;)

The decals are the water-slide type that you normally get with model kits.  You can get the decal material from Small Bear Electronics (www.smallbearelec.com).  He has the material for either a laser printer or an inkjet printer.  I would recommend the laser printer material since the lacquer will pretty quickly dissolve the ink from an inkjet.

Phillip

syndromet

And a little stereo Ruby

joecool85

Wow, excellent stuff syndromet, very pro!
thatraymond.com

syndromet

Well, they earliest ones don't look as pro as they could have. It took a while before I learned to laquer them so that the laquer isn't grainy. But the last ones look pretty good.

Stompin_Tom

yeah, looking good, syndromet. Not sure what the sonic destroyer is, but it look brutal...

syndromet

The Sonic Destroyer is two Tim Escobedo circuits in one box, and made to create the most awfull noises ever. It's the Thing Modulator and the Psychtar. It has a very wide range of sounds, and can produce anything from octave up, fuzz, tremolo-like effects, sitar-sounds and ring mod. It's an extreme pedal, and usefull for making extreme sounds. I love it!!

Here are a few soundclips:
Octave effect
Sitar effect
Ring modulator
Sonic destroyer in feedback loop
Playing with the settings

syndromet

My little gem. The enclosure was meant for the Nelson 6w stereo amp, hence the name.

syndromet