Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:16:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

looking for low power chip

Started by autir, March 26, 2010, 09:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autir

Hello all

I am looking for a chip able to produce around 1-2 watt on a single channel with no distortion. Unfortunately all chips I have found so far have very high gain, and for this low power it means heavy distortion. I tried installing resistors in series with the input, but it is not the optimal way as I practically amplify input noise. To make matters worse I work on stripboard and this limits my choices - SIPs are obsolete, DIPs cannot be heatsinked, Pentawatts are one category higher in terms of power and require higher voltages.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

pyromaniac_

Why not the LM386-N3? It can produce 1 W and the gain can be set to anything between 20 and 200 I think, check the datasheet for sure. If you want 2 W, you can bridge two of them.

Why heatsink DIP:s? these chip are designed to work without a heatsink anyway.

J M Fahey

The best/most efficient 9V chip is the TBA820. As expected, slightly more complex bacause nothing is free, this one is tweaked to the max.
On the contrary, LM386 is a heavily stripped version of LM380, and inefficient because of that.
Read datasheets to learn how to set gain.