Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:42:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

LM3886 10 ohm resistor?

Started by Brymus, November 18, 2009, 07:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brymus

I was wondering at GGG they say use 10-12 turns of #22 insulated wire for the (inductor?) in parallel with the 10 ohm resistor (R5/L1) http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_lm3886_amp.pdf
Is this correct? Or does it need to be that resistive wire at StewMac which is so many ohms per linear foot?
Also what purpose does this arrangment serve?
I am almost ready to start my 3886 amp,just ironing out the details,thanx.

J M Fahey

Hi Brymus. That *is* an inductor, and it uses regular copper wire, to achieve very low resistance (only some milli ohms).
Fact is, real world amplifiers waste some time handling signals through them, it is percieved as some degrees of phase shift, so negative feedback, at some frequencies (usually supersonic) is *not* at the required 180 degrees but some other value, which leads to instabilities or even oscillations.
Real life speaker cable has some wire to wire capacitance that loads the power amp output and worsens that. That's why amps that perform flawlessly at the bench, may sound strained, or dirty, or even die "out there". That inductor insulates the output transistors from the speaker cable, at very high frequencies, where problems usually appear.
Another amp killer is the cheap plain piezo tweeter, which *is* a .056 to .1uF ceramic capacitor (my measurements). The inductor helps there too.
And tube amps?: they have very little or no feedback.
Anothe "load stabilizer" is the "Zobel network", that classical .1 ceramic in series with 10 to 2 ohms, wired across the speaker terminals or from output to ground (it's the same).
Juan Manuel Fahey

Brymus

Thanx JM that was very helpful as usual.
I hope to start the LM3886 build soon .