Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

newbie capacitor questions

Started by svenz, November 17, 2009, 07:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svenz

I've seen some schematics that show caps as having values of 50/50, or 10/16, 6000/50, etc.  What does that mean?  I understand 2200 nF, but not the others.

What types of caps (metal film, poly, electrolytic, etc.) do I typically want to deal with in my amp - does it matter which stage it's being used in?  Is it just whatever I can afford?  If I'm going for a heavy distortion, does it even matter?

I want to buy a bulk assortment to start - is there a recommended place/type to go with or to avoid?

Sometimes the schematics show polarization, sometimes not.  What's the difference, and can I use one in place of the other (so I can just get a bunch of one type)?

thanks.

joecool85

Quote from: svenz on November 17, 2009, 07:23:48 AM

I've seen some schematics that show caps as having values of 50/50, or 10/16, 6000/50, etc.  What does that mean?  I understand 2200 nF, but not the others.

What types of caps (metal film, poly, electrolytic, etc.) do I typically want to deal with in my amp - does it matter which stage it's being used in?  Is it just whatever I can afford?  If I'm going for a heavy distortion, does it even matter?

I want to buy a bulk assortment to start - is there a recommended place/type to go with or to avoid?

Sometimes the schematics show polarization, sometimes not.  What's the difference, and can I use one in place of the other (so I can just get a bunch of one type)?

thanks.

Normally 50/50 would mean 50uF 50v, at least thats how I've always read it.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

Yeah, generally  capacitance (in uf)/ voltage  so 50uf/50v or 6000uf/50v

SOmetimes you see a dual section cap, like two 50uf 500v sections in one can.  That could be written as 50/50 500v.  But that should be clear from the context it is in.

Many schematics have a note saying all caps are in uf unless noted, or even all are in pf unless noted.  SO all the caps would have plain numbers for pf and if they were uf, it would say so next to the part.

Polarity indicates the cap is either electrolytic or tantalum.  In my opinion, if you are learning, stay away from tantalum.  They work fine, but are extremely intolerant of things like reverse voltage and over voltage.

You can use most any type cap, but a 1uf electrolytic is the size of a resistor, while a 1uf film cap is many times larger.  And you just won;t find 470uf film caps.  They'd be huge though.

Mostly the caps I use in tube amps and the caps I use in solid state amps come from different drawers.

In my opinion, the differences are more subtle between the various film types.  learn about circuits first, and worry about the subtleties later.