Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:11:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Is there any way to build a switch to convert a 30w amp to 15w?

Started by ewibolo, November 04, 2009, 05:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewibolo

I was just wondering if there is any way to build a switch that you can install on a 30w amp to be able to switch back and forth from 30 to 15, or 100 to 50, etc. 
This would be for the purpose of playing in two different sized rooms.

Thanks for any input.

Enzo

A volume control in the FX loop.   Or something like an EQ pedal in the loop set for level reduction.

MAny, if not most, amps have two input jacks side by side.  One of those jacks is a little quieter than the other.  All the Fender amps come to mind.  The difference in loudness between them is 6db - 6 decibels.   Reducing 30 watts to 15 watts will reduce the loudness only 3db - 3 decibels.

To reduce the loudness by half, you need a powr reduction of 10 times.  In other words, 10 watts is half as loud as 100 watts.

SO a 3 watt amp will be half as loud as a 30 watt amp.

Minion

If it is a solid state amp you could put power resistors in series with the speaker , if you have an 8 ohm speaker putting a 8 ohm resistor in series will halve the output power , you could also use a L-Pad or a rheostat .....

Cheers

guitarpicker7

Whenever I want to reduce my amp to half power, I just move the VOLUME knob from 10 to 5. It works for me.

Seriously- If you have a 2 speaker setup, make up a switch to change the speaker hookup from parallel to series. Be SURE to use a NON-SHORTING switch or ALWAYS remember to turn off the power before you change the setting.

If you'd like to have a go before messing around with wires and such, try it out by using a jumper cable. Carefully pull off the speaker connectors (remembering where they were originally connected!!) and re-connect one output lead to one speaker and the other output lead to the other speaker- hook the 2 speakers together with a jumper between the 2 open connectors... Simple! You go from 8 to 16 ohms, no worries!

Be aware of speaker phasing- you probably want to keep red to black (or + to -) but you might prefer an out-of-phase sound! Try both ways and listen!