Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:13:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Bypass Vox Pathfinder 10 Tone stack

Started by mladenu, October 18, 2015, 08:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mladenu

Hello my friends,

I will post Schematic of this little Vox amp... I plan to use PhabbTone pedal in front of Pathfinder, and want to add swith to bypass completely and only tone stack.. This because i prefer pre, not post eq distortion, and because lack of mid control.. And of course because i find Phabbtone to be all i need for tone shaping.. :)

Question is where to add bypass switch?

Thanks for your answer...

Mladen

Enzo

You would connect R9 to R13.  A simpler way would be to disconnect R11, and R12. But there will be an increase in overall level, which may or may not drive following circuits hard enough to alter tone.  Since the tone controls are passive, and cut only, you can turn them all to maximum and that will reduce their effect to the minimum.

As in most amps, there is tone shaping in the amp in other places than just the tone controls.

Here is a simple experiment:  plug your guitar into your FX pedal, then connect the pedal out to a PA system.  Now play.  Now you are hearing what the pedal and guitar alone sound like.  If you have always played the pedal through a guitar amp, then you have always heard it with the guitar amp's additions to tone.

phatt

Enzo is right, it will change the tone and alter levels.

A quick and simple option is to rewire the treble as a 2nd master volume as you only need to lift one end of R10 and bridge in 2 places as shown in drawing.

Just be aware that at full up the signal will be much larger without the tone circuit in place and this would likely overdrive the power chip a lot earlier.

It's 50/50 if that will be good or bad, you be the judge. 8|

Phil.