Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

How about a preamp with a decent input section and active tone?

Started by lefizz, October 30, 2007, 08:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lefizz

Right i was reading a section over on DIYaudio when a guy called minion posted an active tone control section. I thought this combined with the 2 stage preamp i was working on would probably work quite well.

This was my first thoughts on the idea

lefizz

Then i was thinking but this would mean that the second 11 x section from the initial design would be removed so i imagine i would have to stick this back on after the active tone. Does that make sense?

obelix

what advantage is there for the preamp-tone control? wouldn't connecting the preamp to the power amp suffice?

lefizz

Well i guess that you get tone control on your amp??

And an active one will allow you to shape the sound more however i think that this cicuit as it stand doesnt give enough gain

obelix

sorry what I meant was having passive tone controls against that of active tone controls, any advantages/disadvantages?

lefizz

The main advantage is that you can boost rather than just cut frequencies. This means a wider range of tones can be produced by the preamp, i cant think of any disadvantages.