Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:39:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

KMD GV-60D take-apart problem

Started by BobSkippy, February 11, 2016, 03:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobSkippy

Greetings!
  I just got hold of an old KMD GV-60D amp.

Everything works fine, but I want to go through it to check that everything is in as good of shape as it seems, but I'm having a problem.

I can't get the chassis out of the cabinet!

The KMD chassis is held to the cabinet with 2 braces, each of which has 2 bolts. I took those off, along with 2 small wood screws that held tabs down.

I took the knobs, etc., off the front.

The chassis won't budge!

I can't see anything - ANYTHING - else that would need to be removed in order to remove the chassis, but it just WON'T move!

Is there anyone who can tell me what I'm missing here?

Thanks!

phatt

You may need to pry the metal away from the Vinyl as it tends to stick quite hard having been squeezed for so long. Gently wedge a screwdriver in there see how it goes,, if no go then maybe the handle might be bolted to the chassis.
Phil.

Enzo

Generically, amps have often four large screws in through the top, often with metal straps to spread the weight.  SOME also use the handle screws into threaded holes on the chassis.  A very few have chassis screws hidden under the corner covers, not many.  Also look on the side panels for chassis end screws.  Some of them, Peavey almost always does this on combos, have a small lip on the chassis and a few wood screws into the cab.

Knobs do not have to come off to extract the chassis.

Once the chassis is unscrewed, it can stick.  The sides and edges of the chassis can stick to the tolex.  Just a matter of wedging a screwdriver or something in there to pop it free of that.  Some chassis are made by bending flat sheet metal, and a folded up area with a threaded insert takes a chassis bolt.  This can pull the metal tab into the wood of the cab, and be a pain.

Sometimes the edge of the chassis gets wedged between the cab roof and the grille.

galaxiex

A thin stiff putty knife sometimes works well for loosening the chassis from the sides of the cabinet.
Careful you don't gouge the tolex, and also support the chassis!
It can come free suddenly and drop onto the speaker or otherwise damage stuff.
The transformers are heavy and when the chassis breaks free, gravity takes over.  :o
On a top mounted (most amps) chassis, I flip the cabinet upside down so the chassis can't fall on the speaker.
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

Enzo

Upside down works.  I usually turn the amp on its side, but the same process defeats gravity either way.

voltwide

There are combos out where you have to remove the front baffle before removing the chassis!