Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Anyone in here use a booster?

Started by joecool85, May 17, 2006, 07:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

I haven't even built one yet, but I keep hearing people rave about how great booster pedals are...whats the hype about?  Doesn't it just make your guitar louder?  Couldn't you just turn up the amp?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

RDV

Quote from: joecool85 on May 17, 2006, 07:30:24 PM
I haven't even built one yet, but I keep hearing people rave about how great booster pedals are...whats the hype about?  Doesn't it just make your guitar louder?  Couldn't you just turn up the amp?
It makes the guitar bigger and makes the front end of an amp produce more distortion.

Let's say you have a single channel amp and a fuzz pedal, that's 2 sounds, add a boost and now you've got a 4 channel amp.

It's just another tool in the box.

I can send you a really good schem for one if you'd like, only takes a few parts.

RDV

joecool85

Sure, post it up!  I'm thinking of doing the LPB1 on tonepad.com
thatraymond.com

RDV

joecool85

Nice, thanks!  You the man RDV!
thatraymond.com

javacody

I love my minibooster. I added RG's mods, and the pedal has way more oomph.

RDV

Quote from: javacody on May 23, 2006, 09:36:17 PM
I love my minibooster. I added RG's mods, and the pedal has way more oomph.
Me too & me too.

RDV

SECONDandBOWERY

In addition to boosters that make all frequencies louder to drive the input of the amp harder, there are also boosters like the Dallas Rangemaster and Apollo/Orange Treble & Bass Boosters that will only boost certain frequencies.  The Rangemaster will only do trebles, but the Apollo and Orange boosters, like their names imply, can boost either the highs or lows depending on where you set the tone knob on the actual booster.  I believe that the Rangemaster could be built on the LPB1 board.

Rangemaster:

Apollo:

Orange:

(I hope those schematics aren't too big.)

I hope that helps!

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

joecool85

Those are excellent!  Feel free to post those in the schematics section.
thatraymond.com

SECONDandBOWERY

I actually just stole them from http://www.geofex.com and http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com so I'd feel kinda guilty posting them the in schematics section.

Fun Fact: The Rangemaster was used by Brian May, Marc Bolan, and Eric Clapton.

Rock'n'Roll,
--Andy

teemuk

I use this. Nothing fancy but simple enough to rat's nest inside a Hammond box.

joecool85

It's ok to post schematics that aren't yours in the schematics section...thats how most of them will get there.  If you want, you can just post a link to them instead of the jpgs.  It's a good way to archive stuff though.
thatraymond.com

steve_m

I use my stock Boss BluesDriver pedal as a booster. I mainly play low watt, low gain tube amps that I've built myself. The booster slams the input of a slightly distorted amp and pushes a lightly driven amp into heavy OD.

Also, set to a light boost, a booster can make a mellow clean sound punchier.

my $.02.

steve

syndromet

I built two of dragonfly's Snake bite boosters in a BB box. Sounds great, and has a neat disortion on it's own. The best booster I've tried, and I've tried a few.

More info and link to the schem on www.syndromet.com

Maroonedwizard

Hi .

I saw that you use some Germanium on that boosters . I have some AC126 Ge . Are they going to work properly with those circuits?