Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Bandit 65

Started by txwylde, November 08, 2006, 03:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txwylde

I have an old Peavey Bandit 65 which is like 20+ years old. Its a cool little amp. The distortion side is soo muddy. Is it worth getting someone to look at it? Or should I use the case and chassis for a cool tube amp?

Thanks!
Bill

idle_chatterbox

My vote would be to not scrap it out, especially if you like its clean tone. If you must have distortion, that's one of the easiest things to get, in terms of pedal selection, even the DIY variety. So if the "distortion" knob on your amp is essentially worthless, who cares. Plus, given how cheaply you could get a non-working chassis/cabinet on ebay, trashing an amp that sounds good to get that would be the kind of thing that's easy to regret once its too late. The other day I was surfing around ebay for something else, and saw a number of non-working, "as-is" vintage amps that probably would have taken a little work to return to health, but which were dirt cheap (and some vintage mfgrs like Rickenbacker, Epiphone, etc).

I have an old yamaha 30, and its Distortion feature is an embarassment. I'm not sure what type of distortion its supposed to be, but it's worthless. But overall the amp sounds great, gets along with various effects, pre-amps, and guitars. I just pretend that I don't know it's got that knob.

My opinion only. Not that I know anything. Good luck whichever way you go 8)

Rafa

Well , I dont know how expensive second things are in your contry where I live a used amp will little lass than a new one, so it would worth to repair it, furthermore, what idle said is right if you like the clean tone, the distortion is just a stompbox, at tonepad there is the marsahll guvnour which is said to be an excellent pedal, and is not so hard to be built even if you are a beginner, it also includes a tonestack, so that would be the best I think,
Cheers
Rafa