Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:36:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

H&H VS Musician Head

Started by guitar.teen, April 02, 2015, 05:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar.teen

Hi there guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing, and well I was tinkering on the Internet when I saw a celestion 4ohm speaker on eBay, on purchase I received a broken H&H VS Musician Head Amp 100 watts.
On further inspection once plugged in, the second channel plays like a dream, the first channel doesn't even work, and the main volume pot makes noises when you touch it and I believe it's been unearthed or something, any help towards its repair in advice would be greatly appreciated and I'll post a picture when I can, again thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J M Fahey

If you have the tools and some experience, it's repairable.

guitar.teen

I have the tools and some experience working with electronics, just nothing of this age.

guitar.teen

J M Fahey

Ok, maybe the "teen" part of your user name misled me ;)

Start by searching the HH VS schematic online and post it here, it might even be here already or in MEF.

If absolutely unavailable, I guess I have a copy somewhere ..... the big problem will be finding it.

guitar.teen

Haha fair enough, I may be a teen but I hate new stuff haha, okay, I'll take a look, thanks.

g1

Roly

Quote from: guitar.teenI may be a teen but I hate new stuff haha

Built my first radio pre-teen, built a bandload+ of valve amps and a PA in my teens, now retired. (so)

Protip: It's all just gear.  Okay.  Some you like, some you don't, but that depends very much on the designer, not the technology (thermionic/s.s./steam/&c).

Broadly electronic gear can be either;

- designed to be built.  Only.  One-way throwaway.  Hard to get at, no documentation.

- designed to be serviced.  Easy and obvious access to conventional circuits and layout, with due consideration to actual operating conditions (e.g. plastic PCB-mount input sockets, the source of much user pain.)

Whatever technology it is, you thank the second, and curse the first (sometime unto the seventh son of the seventh son  :grr ).

Generalise. (ya gotta)
As an industrial design and service tech I was mainly called in on "electronic" problems but I often found that I had to cross the demarcation boundaries between sensors and the electronic, to the muscle, electrical power control and motors, hydraulic, air, and mechanical.

My favorite is spending a day and evening chasing an intermittent "electronic" fault in a huge textile machine, and working through electrical switchgear to the lube pump, and finally a blocked outlet pipe - and dancing a jig like a couple of mad indians, waving this short length of pipe in the air, whooping and hollerin' much to the puzzlement of the night shift.  Tired and covered in oil, the head of Maintenance and I were ecstatic.

If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey

They were not worried about the dance, but terrified that you would use that piece of pipe to play 10 hours of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSRv4Hsxn0

Roly

Ah.  Yes.  Well this was about 1/4-inch diameter and about a foot long, so if it hadn't been choka-blocked full of gunge it would have been a piccolo didge.  It was stalling something like a half-horse lube pump.

{Supposed to drain the initial detergent oil at 300hrs, next fill at 1500hrs, machine had by then done over 2000hrs.  A row of 12 machines, over a million each, and nobody had bothered to change the furshlugger OIL gor blimy.  }

A didge is a bit of a cultural thing.  Apparently you are supposed to go walkabout with your didge master until you find your didge.  May need a bit of finishing, and decoration of course, but it should come off the tree basically whole.  As a result Koories aren't too impressed by random blowing drainage pipe etc.

The trick to didge playing is "circular breathing".  Basically being able to inhale quickly through your nose while puffing out your last from your mouth so the sound is uninterruped.

Now I will be the first to say that didge playing;

... is generally about as exciting as Morris Dancing;

..., perhaps a bit less so, but I have encountered one young didge player who kept a group of us spellbound for more than half an hour with what he could do with it.  Lots of people have a go, young white fellas in particular, but not too many are any good at it - what you might call the doof end of didge playing.  A good didge will support all sorts of resonant modes above the fundamental (say around 50Hz) and dual modes in raspy chirps.

Like mouth harps they are on a single note and its harmonics, so guys like this fella had a clutch of didges so he could work in with guitarists, Blues &c very well.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey